Finding your spring weight: 63.5g SPRiT

When Clear-minded BSUN was my favorite switch, my favorite spring weight was 65g. It was comfortable yet playful.

Then Holy Panda came a long and it felt the best at 68g so I switched over. It was fine for several months then my hands started to feel taut. I figured it was from working too much so I started resting more often. Then one day I got the final alarm, my left hand felt numb in the morning.

That started my search for my spring weight for the switch instead of the switch’s ideal spring weight. I tried everything I had between 62g to 68g, including progressive and ‘slow’. 65g which felt comfortable with MX Clear stem was now tad too strong, likely due to Halo’s bigger bump being bigger. 62g nerfed tactility too much. Progressives just felt weird and ‘slow’ just felt the same.

What I finally went with is regular 63.5g SPRiT springs because it offered the best balance between tactility and comfort. The lesson here is that what’s best for the switch may not be the best for your wrist, over time.

10 Likes

I’m settling down with 65g SPRiT springs in clicky switches. With these springs I can type without bottoming out and not feeling too much fatigue.
I have some progressive springs (also 65g) but I have yet to put them into switches for proper typing.

recently I got some T1 Night switches (not sure if I like them so I only ordered 10).
I only test them on hand, the tactile bump is somewhat satisfying but I’m not sure about long time usage. I believe their spring is 67g.
I try changing the spring:

• 65g SPRiT (normal) spring: lighter bump but still somewhat on the hard side.
  • 65g SPRiT progressive spring: the bump is even lighter than the 65g normal spring, I consider building a board with these if I can get them later (as T1 has been discontinued).

(I don’t know about Holy Panda and I have not tried Zeal V2)

2 Likes

On one hand 63.5g sprit springs are amazing.
On the other hand, sprit is extremely hit or miss when it comes to fulfilling/shipment.

5 Likes

This is what’s stopping me from biting the bullet on going with SPRiT. I was lucky to get 200 78g CWW springs from someone on MechMarket so I won’t need to worry for a while, but my Korean friend has had to wait 6 weeks for his springs to even ship.

2 Likes

On the other hand, sprit is extremely hit or miss when it comes to fulfilling/shipment.

I have to agree. I haven’t had any issue so far but the lack of communication and stories of unshipped orders should make potential buyers wary.

2 Likes

@donpark - revisiting an old thread as I’m interested in picking up 63.5p springs for my pandas. Where did you buy your sprits from?

1 Like

I believe he bought his straight from Spirit’s website or goggle order form. I’m pretty sure that is the only way to get Spirit’s progressive springs right now TBH. Although I would tread cautiously ordering directly from Spirit as plenty of people in the community ordered from him & never received their items. Not sure how good or bad he has been recently with order fulfillment, but he has a checkered past when it comes to it so order directly at your own risk. Personally I would recommend getting your springs from TX Keyboards even though the weighting selection is not as diverse & they don’t have progressive springs (honestly from all I have heard the progressive springs don’t seem to be nothing special or even really feel all that different from straight weighted springs so YMMV with them).

4 Likes

As @Rob27shred said, I bought direct via SPRiT’s website. Same advice also: use caution. Anyone can open a store but not everyone can keep customers happy. When I order, I half expect it to go wrong.

2 Likes

I just got a few bags of 63.5g in the mail today from gboards.ca. Last time I bought SPRiT Alps springs from mechanicalkeyboards.com. I feel a lot safer ordering them from a reputable vendor that already has them in hand. I’d rather not support the guy at all, but it’s hard times out here. Hopefully someone reputable comes through with a steady supply of quality springs soon.

4 Likes

LOL, I do the same thing. I know I’m still supporting a known scammer by buying his products period, but at least I’m not directly supporting him.

2 Likes

Thanks all!

1 Like

While TX doesn’t offer many options, I’ve had really good luck with their springs, and their fulfillment is 100% for me.

4 Likes

sorry to bring back an old post but is it normal for the 63.5g sprit springs to be shorter than my stock yok panda springs? just noticed while spring swapping.

1 Like

Yeah, spring length can differ between stock switches and enthusiast options. It doesn’t make much of a difference, I don’t think, but somebody else probably knows better than I do.

3 Likes

63.5g SPRiT springs I have are indeed pretty short.

2 Likes

Nothing to apologize for, you have a legit question related to the thread. Onto that, depending on the weighting & any other special features of an aftermarket spring they can be shorter or longer than the stock spring of your chosen switch. I’ve never noticed a difference beyond the weighting when I’ve swapped shorter springs in to a switch & agree with @iaman that it won’t make a big difference beyond the weighting/distribution of it.

1 Like