Fresh design of MX stem internals - Gateron Caps

Decided to throw these in my hotswap board & give them a try stock. I’ve been using them for almost an hour now & my impressions are positive so far! Slightly scratchier than most high end linears, but very similar scratch to any other Gat yellow I’ve tried. The springs feel a bit heavier than their stated 63g bottom out to me. Although a 63.5g progressive spring is the heaviest one I’ve been using lately so it may just be me there. The sound is great IMO! I have them on a CF plate right now & they have a nice thock to them, but still lean towards the more poppier side of the sound spectrum. With lube these will be a fairly deep sounding switch I think.

Not sure I want to put these in my 8X MkII now that I find they feel a little heavier than I expected, but will be lubing these up & keeping them in my test board for now. I’ll update this post after I do it!

7 Likes

Sounds great but scratchy makes this switch an ideal candidate for polishing. Tempting.

6 Likes

adding this reveiw to the site if you don’t mind - also restock SOON

2 Likes

I’d be delighted - glad you like it! Really enjoying the switches.

2 Likes

I wanted to try polishing Cap switches so went to NovelKeys to order a Cap Gold set ($18) and a Cap Yellow set ($12), totaling $30 but backed out after noticing that cheapest CONUS shipping option available is USPS Priority Mail at over $10.

No thanks. I’m not exactly dying to polish switches.

I do note that the new 35 switch sets go pretty well with 60% hotswap boards since you can put Cap Gold on alphas and Yellows on the rest then switch the sets later.

4 Likes

It was a dumb idea to put those switches in boxes (the Gateron, not Mike). If they were bagged, shipping would be $3-5 most likely.

3 Likes

I’d be proud of these too if I were Gateron… but I totally agree about the packaging. At least have the overdone display box as a possible option rather than the only one. It’s cool if you could use a switch tester, but otherwise a massive waste of plastic and shipping resources. Even just using a recycled paperboard version of the packaging could go a long way.

1 Like

Put the milky switches in this board. Lubed them with 205g0 and it’s a pretty sublime typing sound and feel.

7 Likes

Dang nice! caught a bit of your stream. Did you record a sound test?

Yeah dude, I’m in Ohio and the shipping is “DHL or FedEx” for $18… gotta pass.

I did, I’ll upload to YouTube when I have a min.

2 Likes

are yall testing the milky or the yellow/golden tops?

Tho besides color, apparently it’s just a difference in springs.

2 Likes

I went with the milky ones cause I felt that they are pretty much the same also. I think even the springs are the same, might be wrong there though.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the Golds are basically a “special edition” alternate color. Like the housings, the springs are supposed to be the same spec, just with a molecular-layer of gold coating them. I’ve seen in some sound tests that their respective faint pinging isn’t the same between them, but it’s a pretty trivial difference.

2 Likes

Another review video that shows difference in sound. Liking the Milky sound more than that of Gold.

5 Likes

Other than polishing, one hack Gateron Cap design makes me want to try is grounded down a bit of the the flat top surface of housing pole then coated it with liquid latex for silencing or other types of materials for different sound.

4 Likes

I say go for it. However, what you’re going to get is a 1/2 and 1/2 switch. It feels weird to have a silent switch on the way down and a clack on the way up.

2 Likes

I received mine in the mail from Novelkeys yesterday! Initial impressions from pressing a switch 1-5 times in its packing before having to put it away and focus on other tasks was positive :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I know I lack the skill to get that consistent, which makes me wonder if an adhesive vinyl that’s on the thicker/softer side would work here.

3 Likes

So I think I’ve at least partially solved the mystery of Caps’ weird packaging.

Small amounts of lube can come out of the air port - so storing them in a bag, jar, or anything else that has them on top of each-other will mean some likelihood of slimy switches in the future. (I found this out the practical way…)

Not an issue if they’re packed like eggs.

Edit:

U4T’s on the left, Caps on the right. If you look close, you can see the right side has lube on the bottom of the drawer while the left side is clean. I put these in at the same time, having gotten both from @davisthegreat.

So - a word of advice to anyone that buys these thocky bois - keep the crate.

13 Likes