Fresh design of MX stem internals - Gateron Caps

Check out the stem on this KS-25

https://kbdfans.com/collections/switches/products/gateron-caps-switches

5 Likes

No Frankensteining that switch. LOL.

4 Likes

But also no air pocket, which might affect the feel a bit?

1 Like

LOL, for sure! Although the design does interest me somewhat. A part of me says it won’t make an appreciable difference, but you never know. Either way I’m glad to see some innovation in the standard MX space!

3 Likes

Seems harder to lube

1 Like

Interesting…

1 Like

they said they were going to take photos of the internals tomorrow so we can see it better. I can’t imagine why this would work any better than the current housing other than possible allowing liquids to flow out easier if something spills on the keyboard.

We shall see.

3 Likes

I don’t see how liquids are expected to go up the centre bit that fits under the stem just to flow out though. Sort of reminds me of the box switches.

1 Like

I tried to buy some but I haven’t bought anything off kbdfans in a long time and it seems like the forgot password thing doesn’t work because I don’t get an email :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I don’t like that these come in packs of 35 with acrylic switch holders. I always buy 90 switches, and that leaves me with 15 extra. But the biggest annoyance is the excess pacaking. So much waste for simple little switches.

Yes, maybe you get switches with a few bent pins. But I’ve never had 1 switch with a bent pin that I couldn’t fix in a few seconds… out of thousands. Skip the box and the acrylic and charge less per switch.

Really hoping these will be offered by other vendors with more eco-friendly packaging in the future.

8 Likes

What an interesting switch… I’m probably going to wait for a review, though.

Yeah it seems kind of odd to include the holders. Maybe it’s intended to be used as a lubing base that comes with the switches. If someone were to get these as one of their first steps into the hobby I could see how having it included might possibly be useful. For everyone else though its a bit of a waste.

1 Like

I’m having this same issue with KBDFans right now, very frustrating to not be able to check out at all :confused:

1 Like

I was just gonna yolo buy like a lot of them too, oh well…

1 Like

$25 shipping for a single 35 pack seems excessive, even to Norway.

3 Likes

How long until someone develops silicone plugs for the new switches for silencing…

We live in a time where someone might start developing butt plugs for our switches. What a time to be alive.

10 Likes

Butt plugs in switches might redeem 2020.

In all seriousness though, I thought about this in normal switches for a long time. I finally broke down and did some science about a week ago. I took an mx silencing ring and sliced it into little discs, about .3mm tall. I put those down inside the switches where the stem slides. It wasn’t that great. It sounded about like a silenced cherry switch on the downstroke.

But the silence only on downstroke feels and sounds wrong. So much for that idea :frowning:

I think we need the entire housing to be softer.

1 Like

Isn’t that basically the old trampoline mod? I don’t remember who it was but I do remember a vendor selling little silicone balls made to go inside the stem post hole in the bottom housing to dampen the downstroke. I never bothered with it cause I was thinking it would make a switch feel funny, looks your experiment confirms that.

Yep, same idea. I thought my results might be better since the rubber was so tiny, but it didn’t feel good.

2 Likes

Surprisingly no; and I think it will actually be better (but still bad) than the trampoline mod

1 Like