Gamers, what's your favorite switch, and keycap profile?

yeah that’s what I remember too, the rating is for when it will no longer register when you push it down, not when the feel will change.

Good question. Don’t play shooting game LOL :joy:. Jk, aiming still possible using right joystick

Actually it’s not losing tactility but losing the responsiveness. Very obvious if you are fast typer and some time key doesn’t register at all unless you press on them properly. The problem only persisted among switches i used to play AC, and yes I thought my switch going to last longer but obviously that it applicable for normal typing situation?

Because in my case, the BOX Noble Yellows have a 50g bottom out force(post clickbar) and a 65g actuation force. That means that it’s easier for me to keep it pushed down, rather than have a 65g actuating linear switch all the way which would get progressively heavier as you go down the travel.

I’m boring. Stock MX blacks on cherry profile.

Plank with Cherry profile on box reds. I mainly play Overwatch so I have a Halo Clear switch where the key bound to activate your ultimate is (Q) to try to make that switch just a little bit less prone to fat fingering.

1 Like

Preferably Cherry/GMK profile, and I usually use mid weight tactiles like zealios and browns. I dont mind playing with clickies, but it drives my wife insane while I “button mash”. The only switch that’s bothered me while gaming is Cherry MX Greens, but that’s pretty self explanatory. I do like tactility in the switch though as sometimes I depress switches right to the top of the bump to actuate it instantly when needed; not really an advantage, just a weird quirk of mine that sometimes occurs when gaming.

I run an open mic, when gaming, because push to talk is not for the heat of the moment, so I run Zilent V2’s and Cherry Profile.
Don’t want to be that person, that you can hear clacking away, during a mission.

How intense are we talking here? I’m assuming you were doing a full wind-up and smashing the WASD keys with your knuckles to kill a switch that fast.

Not even that much :|. I don’t smash key, but the game involving a lot of hoding “E” key to open/equip stuff so “E” key die quickest. I’m surprise too that my switches gone fast but I guess I learn something :confused:

I have often fantasized about setting up a footpedal for push-to-talk for this reason.

2 Likes

as much as i dislike discord their automatic detection of when you are talking has gotten pretty good to the point where I don’t bother with push to talk on a mouse button anymore

Gateron Reds. I typically use 67g Tealios for regular typing, but playing something like Team Fortress 2 or osu, definitely need something lighter so I don’t get finger fatigue. I have really dainty little fingers so anything heavier than 70g I can’t use for extended periods of time.

As for keycaps, I don’t really mind as long as it’s not DSA/XDA, or any ortholinear-oriented keyset. My fingers just can’t compute those flat profiles.
I favor OEM-profile since I have a larger indication of what key I am pressing, compared to something like Cherry profile which is still a little too low. Never tried SA profile before though, but I can’t imagine those will be good for gaming, at least not competitively.

I’ve debated about similar things, but I also think, that running an open mic, leads to having more idle chit chat / conversations. :slight_smile:

The elevator scene in season 3 episode 6 (Immolation) of The Expanse, is a great example of what I mean. Madam Avasarala Called it “whistling in the dark”.

1 Like

Online I only play Pve/Co-op games with friends, so an open mic is ideal as well. Honestly the joking around and conversations are way better than what any game could provide.

1 Like

Any light to medium weight linear switch is fine for me, and I prefer Cherry-profile keycaps.

Currently rocking some lubed, filmed, and Zealencio’d ThicThock Marshmallows, with GMK Space Cadet. IMO, tactiles and especially clickies would be too loud whenever I use Discord, and I’m just used to linears. Cherry-profile feels more comfortable and less awkward when gaming since I use a non-standard finger position anyway - ESDF as movement keys; middle finger on S, pointer on E/D, thumb on F - and using any profile higher than OEM inteferes with how I reposition my fingers.

Though, I own quite a few Cherry-profile keycap sets that so I’m pretty partial in that regard.

Lol, I use my minivan like this. Instead of having mouse and keyboard in front of the monitor, I have them behind my monitor and I sot with my cheat against the desk. Partially because I am farsighted so I have perfect vision within 2feet and hate wearing my glasses 24/7, and also because chest against table is a repeatable position that improves consistency and forces me to sit in a more ergonomic position. If I sit like normal I get back pain.

Anyway, its similar to you because I literally can’t type on the rightside of the board when gaming because I’d have to reach around the monitor awkwardly.

Love split spacebars for gaming, I use main bar for voice chat and the rightside bar for jumping which is important in valorant because Jett makes it impossible to only use scroll for jump since she has a jump and hold ability allowing her to float. My biggest problem with it is no number row. I’ve got a few buttons in less than ideal positions on my mouse to compensate.

Agreed, I think thats one of the problems with most ortho offerings, they really cram as many keys as possible. I think the spacing that larger mod keys have is very important to the typing experience and there are a few interesting keylayouts that have yet to be discovered, which I think could be particularly useful for gaming purposes.