Gaote Electrostatic Capacitive switch?

I searched for “capacitive keyboard switch” out of curiosity and found a page for an obscure switch made by Gaote. They look a bit like discreet Topre modules and have plastic fixing pins. I also can’t find any existing boards that use this switch.
https://www.dggaote.com/keyboard-switch/electrostatic-capacitive-keyboard-switch.html

2 Likes

That packaging would certainly make working with EC switches easier, but I’m not sure that you’d get the same feeling as a Topre-style switch. Which I would think is what folks would want?

Unless the switch has something inside, like a rubber dome or buckling spring, to provide the collapsing tactile feedback, I think it’ll just be a linear switch. Their diagrams don’t match up either.

First image suggests ‘Cup Rubber’ is just that but cut-away diagram, which looks like like a Topre switch, doesn’t match the dimensions of the switch in the photos in the second image.

A very interesting find nonetheless.

No, not at all. A tad dubious I’d say.

That said, it seems like a lot of trouble to go the EC route in terms of firmware. Versus the simple MX switch.

An inaccurate Chinese data sheet? I don’t believe it!

1 Like

It could be a clickbar switch for all we know since it says “Click Tactile” and the asthetic is obviously inspired by Kailh Box.