Gateron G Pro 3.0 Yellow Switch Review

Hey all,

After a fantastic weekend off at That Windy City Keyboard Meetup in Chicago, I’m glad to be back with a full legnth review today. Given that this is the review where I finally have hit 250 scorecards, I figured there’d be no better way to celebrate than to pay homage to the very first switch I ever assined a scorecard to: Gateron Yellows. But rather than revisiting the classic ol’ KS-8s… let’s take a look at the latest and greatest in Gateron’s G Pro 3.0 Yellows!

Article: Gateron G Pro 3.0 Yellow Switch Review — ThereminGoat's Switches
Scorecard Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/switch-scores: PDF Repository of switch score sheets.
Force Curve Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/force-curves: PDF and Data Repository of switch force curves.
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/theremingoat

As always, thank you all for the continued love, support, and readership. The publishing schedule may be a touch choppy here for the next month or so with NK and CK meetups coming up very soon, but rest assured I’m writing and working on switches whenever I’ve got the free time.

Cheers,
Goat :goat:

7 Likes

This review reads like the plot of the 90’s movie “She’s All That.” Gateron has been on the ball as of late and cranking out some killers

Thanks again for another great review :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I just received my batch of Gateron G pro v3 and they are very smooth and great for stock switches … until they became tactiles on rare occasions.
(All seven tested switches of the 90 switch batch have this issue)

I don’t know if it’s the spring, a leaf thing or what else could cause this, but every once in a while the switches have a clear tactile event. Not huge and intensity wise similar to MX browns.
Feel wise it’s different and rather like some part has latched on to another part and then quickly disconnects, like with clicky ALPS or like the spring buckles like on a Model M.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue with these or other switches and knows what might cause this?

Edit: After spring-swapping the switch I have found I was unable to replicate the issue with the Gateron G pro v3’s spring inside an JWK Alpaca, while the Gateron G pro v3 with an JWK Alpaca’s spring retained the issue detailed above.
Therefore the issue is not with the spring itself, even though it might still be an issue with the behavior inside the Gateron G pro v3 switch due to interaction with the housing or stem.

3 Likes

I have a bag that I got last week and haven’t tried out. I’ll see if I notice it.

One thought, did you swap out keycaps? I recently discovered I had a set of gateron switches that I thought had weird stick slip, only to later find out it was actually the key caps causing the issue.

1 Like

I got some in a hotswap board and did typing tests for about 10 minutes. I didn’t notice anything feeling tactile while typing. Now, on slow press at the very top of the keycap, I do get some stick-slip feeling. It’s like the material is caught for a brief second and then moves, but sometimes gets caught again. This is on very deliberate slow pressing at the top edge of the keycap.

Is that what you’re feeling? Or is it something you notice while typing?

Is this something that developed after time, or did you notice it from the start? Perhaps I need to do more breaking in?

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up about possible anomalies in the G Pro 3.0.

I received samples of Gateron G Pro Browns V 3.0 yesterday.

Trying a couple in the hand, they feel alright. The bump is actually very coherent. And it’s pretty smooth, with the pre-lube.

But I can already hear the leaf noise! Not even in a board yet, and I can hear that scuff and maybe ping.

Nothing wrong with them from a technical standpoint, but I guess Gateron’s budget-line tactiles come with leaf noise.

Could you take a picture from above on one of the switches you know for sure have the problem.