[GB] ScrabblePad PCB

How did the packaging hold up? I was pretty confident in the solution I found but still want to be sure it worked out fine.

Packaging worked well. There were no defects on either the box or the boards inside.

Small update, over half the US orders are out as of last Friday, so weā€™re moving along. Iā€™m having to split my time between these and OG Coil Cables, plus even with a counting scale loose diodes are ass to actually work with. 3/10, would not recommend loose diodes.

Some more orders went out this week, though Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™ll move much when most of NC is panicking about ā€œthe end of the world via watery windā€. Hoping to get the majority of the remaining US orders out this coming week and move onto the proxy orders.

Small update, orders that should have gone out Friday went out today because I had to go drag my granddadā€™s tractor out of the field Friday and it ate into the short amount of time the local post office has the desk open on Fridays.

Also, I donā€™t know if I ever actually posted about flashing the board or anything relevant to assembly. QMK Configurator can be used to easily make a layout for the board. Hopefully when Iā€™ve got time that isnā€™t taken up by OG Coils I can put more information for the board at the github page for it https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/scrabblepad.

Update: The last of the US orders are shipped minus a couple unpaid stragglers. Currently working on packing the EU orders and bulk shipment invoices should be out tomorrow or Friday.

Status update: Australia orders are out, Canada orders are out, two US orders are waiting for payment before they can go out, EU proxy order is waiting for one to pay before it can be shipped. Other than that GB orders are complete. Iā€™ll be waiting until I can get those orders out and hear back from the proxies before putting the extras up for grabs.

EU orders are out today, as soon as I hear they arrive fine Iā€™ll begin working on extras when I can dig up the spare time.

Some extras will be going up this week. The link will be https://donutcables.com/product/scrabblepad-pcb-extras/ which isnā€™t currently live. Iā€™m only putting up a certain amount until I confirm that the EU orders reached their destinations ok, after which the rest will be up. Maybe after these are done there could be a potential discussion of a round 2 of sorts? :stuck_out_tongue:

https://donutcables.com/product/scrabblepad-pcb-extras/

Extras are now available

Edit: there was a small issue with shipping calculation, but Iā€™ve adjusted it and it should be resolved now.

Extras are still available; PCBs, mounting packs, diodes, and controllers. Stuck with a Google form while still dealing with PayPal issues.

Silly question maybe, but Iā€™ve not built anything like this beforeā€¦

Can a pro-micro/proton-c/elite-c be used in place of the teensy?

Is it the same footprint/pinout as a Teensy++2.0? If so, possibly? Pro micro for sure wonā€™t, I havenā€™t kept up with the newer controller boards though.

Ok, thanks!

I noticed that Drop has the Scrabble Bag set available in their Re-cap event right now. Can you explain how someone might go about using the ScrabblePad PCB as an actual keyboard? I know itā€™s basically a novelty but I was wondering if someone has put it to practical use. Also, I have some very large 3D printers that I could probably use to design a case for the PCB. Would I still need to buy a second PCB to use as a plate in that case?

As I sell it youā€™d just solder switches/diodes/controller onto it and flash a basic layout via QMK and itā€™s functional. Thereā€™s no top plate for it on its own, only the PCB itself that can function as a bottom plate for mounting. If you make a case for it thereā€™s no need for the bottom plate as youā€™ll most likely be mounting the PCB into the case itself.

Thanks. I guess I was wondering more about how you would program it to be useful. I can see how it might be fun to play scrabble with the XDA scrabble caps, but that doesnā€™t really have any connection to using it as a keyboard with a computer. Do people use it as a giant macro board?

Yeh pretty much any number of macros you could want. I think I heard someone say theyā€™d use the bottom 4/5 rows as a normal ortholinear build with the rows above as extra macros and whatnot. Could also be useful for some games needing a lot of keybinds, etc.