[GB] The Ellipse - a macropad with 3 Bourns or ALPS knobs and 3 mx switches

Hello everyone,

You might have seen my interest check a few weeks ago for the Ellipse macropad, a macropad with 3 rotary encoders and 3 mx style keyswitches. If you didn’t see it, you may ask, why would anyone want that? Here are some ideas: controlling settings in photoshop, pan tilt zoom for 3d controls, scrolling sideways and zooming, and many other possibilities. Basically any setting that comes in sets of 3 (or less, or more using layers) can be controlled using this macropad.

SUPER IMPORTANT: My website’s emails currently are marked as spam. Check your spam folder and mark me as not spam if you place an order.

Quick summary if you don’t want to read the wall of text below: The macropad has 3 encoders and knobs included, an acrylic plate case, rgb underglow, backlighting compatible, and QMK. Buy ends on Monday 4/15 and estimated delivery is within 4 weeks of the GB end.

LINK TO BUY AND IMAGES

PCB Features:

• Compatible with MX style switches
  • Powered by QMK
  • USB Type-C Connector (with ESD protection)
  • RGB Underglow (WS2812b)
  • Single color in switch backlighting compatible
  • Atmega32u4 controller with DFU Bootloader
  • Matte black solder mask and gold-plated solder pads

Included:

• Assembled Ellipse Rev1 PCB
  • Bourns encoders in smooth scrolling or detent varieties
  • Can upgrade to 3 Alps Encoders with options:
    • Smooth scrolling vs Detents
    • .5mm travel sharp click button vs 1.5mm soft button
  • 3 Encoder knobs in silver or black (not pictured)
  • Acrylic switch plate and base plate
  • All necessary hardware to assemble plate case

Pricing, Shipping, Logistics:

• Base price is $50 including paypal fee
  • Depending on which encoder and/or knob option you select, there may be a small extra charge (up to $5) because some parts are more expensive and harder to source than others. This is strictly optional. There are encoders/knobs available within the base price.
  • Priority flat rate USPS shipping within the US is a flat fee of $8
  • Shipping outside the US is expensive, up to $40 even for a small box. If you choose to purchase from outside the US, option your shipping on the purchase website will appear to be free, but I will have to talk to you and manually calculate your shipping cost. (You may want to message me in advance and tell me what country if you care about the price)
  • There will be up to 7 black cases, 25 translucent (diffused) cases, and 27 clear cases available, but the maximum total number of orders will be capped at 40 for now.
  • I am not completely decided on the minimum order quantity to make it happen, but I would like at least 25 orders to comfortably run this.

Timeline:

• Group Buy opens on Today, Weds 4/3/19 when this post is created and ends on Monday 4/15/19, for a duration of approx 1.5 weeks.
  • After GB ends, orders are placed for PCBs and components, which are manufactured, assembled, and delivered to me for kitting in about 3 weeks.
  • The product is shipped to you within 1 week. Domestic US shipping will take 2-3 days to any destination (priority flat rate USPS).
1 Like

I picked up one. No idea what I’ll use it for but it’s an interesting kit.

2 Likes

trying to pick one up but its not showing me love:

I’m not sure why that happens, sometimes the cart just goes loading forever. The couple times it happened to me I just refreshed and it worked. Interesting that there are 2 options for manual international shipping (just fixed that)

IMPORTANT: can you please PM me so I can calculate your shipping before you place the order, so the shipping can be added in the same order.

I’m not able to get the cart to render without those “spinners” covering the payment area! I tried refreshing multiple times, as well as on different browsers, but to no avail. Any help? :smiley:

I gotta be honest, I am not sure. I just tested it and it worked fine for me, spun for like 1 second. Nothing is going out of stock yet, would you mind testing it later or tomorrow, and if it doesn’t work I can just manually send you a paypal invoice. You’ll just have to PM me.

Just placed my order with no difficulty during checkout, when paying with paypal.
If this is being troubleshot, or others want to try and replicate, I used Windows 10 with Chrome Version 73.0.3683.86 (Official Build) (64-bit), No Ad or content-blockers installed or enabled (uBlock origin doesn’t play well with paypal for me).

1 Like

I was able to purchase on mobile with no issues.
App: Chrome
Excited: Very

1 Like

Got mine all built. Zealio 67g V2 and some GMK Carbon caps. I’ve got some SDR (amateur radio stuff) software that this might be useful for adjusting bandwidth slices and filter settings. It’s a neat little board and thanks for running the GB for us.

Potato quality photo:

5 Likes

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing the pic!

I finally got around to building mine!
Alps SKCL green LED switches, Alps encoders, and of course I did it all in walnut.
This is a nice little pad and for me it’s a great intro to programming rotary encoders with QMK.

3 Likes

WOW! Thats crazy cool! I didn’t expect any of them to look like this! Good work!!!

1 Like

oh wow these look great! I’m sad I missed out on this

Wow that’s clean - I would have liked to see that cream color for the text on the mods though. Beautiful E7 case!