[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

Is there an estimated timeframe for production? Sifted through the text, but couldn’t seem to find anything noted explicitly. (Could you tell I’m excited?)

:slight_smile:

I’ve noticed that manufacturers seem extra flaky lately, presumably because of the public health situation, so it could be earlier or (hopefully not) later. This is why I kind of just yolo’d a pessimistic guess as to when it’ll be done and it isn’t super specific. I’ll keep after them to hopefully turn it around quickly though.

Thank you for supporting the project!

2 Likes

Ryan, what do you have in your cart?..

You gonna buy one of these heavy-9’s and flip it on r/mm? I hear that’s the best thing to do.

9 Likes

Gahh, totally zoomed past that line. All is fair. Please do keep us updated with noteworthy production milestones. Learning of the journey is exactly half the fun. Thanks for your work!

2 Likes

Agreed that being involved in the process is a large part of what makes Norbauer’s cases so compelling! I now know just enough about manufacturing to be really dangerous and make lots of incorrect assumptions about how it all works (Dunning-Kruger effect) :wink:

1 Like

Apologies to Ryan for promoting my own work on his thread, but I would like to announce my website has gone live and I have several iterations of my Unreal Topre Gasket available for sale via an order form there. Please check out my self-introduction for the details!

5 Likes

No need to apologize at all! I’ve been playing with the experience of gasketed Topre boards lately myself and really like it on the Heavy Grail. Anything that pushes the boundaries of Topre fun I’m all in favor of. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Are you dropping the bomb and surprise us all with a gasket mount Heavy 6 ? :scream_cat:

1 Like

Probably silly question about the case. There won’t be cutouts for the (num lock, caps lock, scroll lock) leds?

That is correct.

Appreciate the prompt response!:slight_smile: Already have one ordered when received the email, pretty stoked.

Is the GB officially over? I see that I still have the opportunity to add one to cart. If so, I’d like to snag one additional one. :slight_smile:

Note the following from the product page:

The group buy period has ended, but I have allocated a handful of extra units, which can still be pre-ordered until they are sold out. All orders are anticipated to ship around the end of the year.

So you should be good to go! Out of interest, what finishes are you aiming for? :smiley:

Hey guys. Sorry for my slow reply. I was traveling in LA for the past few days—getting ready to likely move down there in a few weeks. Norbauer products will continue to be assembled, inspected, and shipped from here in Silicon Valley, however.

At any rate, @MrMunich is correct. I’ve sent a PO over to the machine shop with some extras padded into the numbers for folks who missed out on the GB. However, as usual, these tend to sell out before the GB ships, and usually the more popular colors first, so best not to wait since after the close of the GB the numbers are constrained.

2 Likes

Good to know! @MrMunich I had previously pre-ordered the royal wrinkle Heavy-9 to go with my black FC980C. But I am one of those crazy people who must replicate the exact setup at home as in the office. So I found a white FC980C, and went ahead and bought the K2 heavy-9 to go with it.

I just placed my order for the Heavy-9 a few days ago, so excited for this! I did order the FC980M to go with it but am trying to source the 980C (I think I found one in 30g). I also preemptively ordered the extended 2048 kit from KBD to go with it, so I really hope I can find one.

This will not only be my first Topre board but also my first, certainly not last, Norbauer. Glad to also read that the keybrief I have will fit this. The anticipation is already killing me haha!

1 Like

Looks like there’ll be many of us with a heavy-9 with the Extended 2048 hahahaha

1 Like

It was the only decent looking set I could find that would go with Veracity Steel at the moment…plus Biip lol.

1 Like

Just got the set in and did a preliminary tryout on my Royal Wrinkle Heavy-6, perfect combo!

1 Like

Okay you can’t just say those things here and not post a photo.

1 Like