[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

When should we expect custom finishes? Is that still a month out or no? I think I’m being lazy by asking here and not emailing but I’m pretty sure there are a few here in the same boat.

They’re all done with the exception of one or two that we had re-worked for maximum cosmetic quality, which we should get back soon.

A bunch of shipments all came in recently and we’re just processing through all the stuff that we need to get out, so might be a few more days before we can get these out, but they’re in hand and in the shipping queue. :slight_smile: Feel free to email for specifics on your particular order.

1 Like

Nice! Looking forward to this!

Are there any custom finishes people have ordered that you think turned out particularly well?

Also, has anyone ever ordered a custom with a hammertone finish? I have a nostalgic soft spot for that style of finish from old tackle and tool boxes, but I’d be interested in knowing if you thought it was a aesthetic fit with your general design language.

2 Likes

I don’t know why I checked Norbauer’s store today, but I saw a heavy-9 in Royal Wrinkle and snagged it!!! :smiley:

7 Likes

Finally assembled my Heavy-9 with the new mill-maxed PCB – it’s a dream. I initially thought the north-south orientation of the ‘+’ and ‘Enter’ switches on the numpad may have caused issues in stability since there is no plate between the stabilizers for the switches latch onto, but the combination of mill-max sockets and the stabilizers took care of things. Just something to note for those who plan to keep the stock fc980m plate.

3 Likes

Retro Refrigerator, quick shot:

23 Likes

Phenomenal! Very, very hard to go wrong with Matte Retro.

I also second @4thebirds’s question to @norbauer as to whether there were any standout custom finishes (across any case, really) that caught his eye!

Feel like I need more Motorsport or Matte Retro Heavy-9 in my life :smiley:

3 Likes

The color is fantastick. But quick q… why does it look like the caps are sticking up on the board? The shot on the web store has a similar angle and they sit lower in that shot. Guess it’s just a weird angle? Anywhoo, can’t wait to get Retro fridge heavy 9 as well!

1 Like

Man I just checked the website and only the Royal Wrinkle and Veracity steel is available…I think the K2 is sold out.

Picture of my own, for comparison.

5 Likes

It went by so quickly :stuck_out_tongue:

Just got mine.
The keys, as observed by someone a few posts ago, are slightly floating. Just a tad dissapointing, but it’s a quick fix: Just cut out some thin material (maybe even rubbery for some extra dampening) and glue it along the inner edge where you fasten the board. I use it with a FC980M, maybe it’s different with a FC980C.

The other thing is that there is no option to raise the angle of the keyboard. I really thought this would be included seeing it was included on the Norbaforce. I’ll just put some big rubber feet underneath and call it a day.

Neither are showstoppers. Apart from these niggles, I really like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be interested to see if anyone tries to add a gasket/o-ring to the mounting points. In theory it should work. That’s the great thing about having a break-out board for the USB. However, it’s possible the mounting of the break-out board will come into contact with the PCB if you lower it any. That was the case in the Heavy-6 when I tried out the prototype for the MX PCB in it.

1 Like

waiting for heavy-9 extras oh-so patiently Q_Q

The neutral position for MX keys is higher than Topre keys with respect to the plate, especially in comparison to Topre keys with silencing rings.

@theMan for informational sake.

But the board I asked about has Topre switches, right? Judging by the look of the ansi enter key icon.

3 Likes

Good eye!! :slight_smile: Maybe it is the angle then, the F12 key and \ key look as expected. I am not surprised the stabilized keys are higher, since that is not uncommon.

yeah i think it’s the angle and lighting. We shall see. Mine is supposed to be here soon!

1 Like

does anyone know if the 980C plastic housing fits the 980M?