[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

Ended getting the stock Topre 55g… such nice tactility and so much thock. Zero regrets. Now for some silencing rings to take care of the upstroke, and to figure out what to do with the donor fullsize Realforce keyboard.

1 Like

Good choice!

I picked up a silenced 660c recently and found the 45g on that board feels significantly more tactile than the 45g on my 980c. Can’t say why, but with that board I’ve been happy to keep the stock domes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I see that (what I assume to be the batch you referred to here) is now available! I don’t, however, see any VHS Heavy-9s. Did you decided against that finish, or might they be added to available inventory shortly?

In a similar vein - any other Heavy-9 surprises in the pipeline to announce or allude to? :smiley:

That was just my mistake when I was putting these in last night. I have updated the inventory now to reflect the allocated VHS units.

No other surprises currently in the pipeline (or anticipated) for the Heavy-9 for 2021. The keyboard is much-beloved by those who use it, but the unusual layout give it a pretty limited audience compared to something like the Realforce or HHKB, so I take care not to go overboard in producing them.

1 Like

Incidentally, in case folks don’t know what @MrMunich is referring to, I just restocked some Heavies-9 in VHS, Aperture, K2, and Enigma Black. These ship in about 1-2 months. The housings and rear cover plates are actually complete and on hand, but we’re waiting on the hardware packs (including that small custom adapter plate) to arrive and then to assemble everything together, which will likely take a month or two. I was just going to drop them as in-stock item when they were all ready, but I get emails pretty regularly asking when it’ll be coming back, so I figured the easiest way to handle those inquiries would be to open up pre-order spots now and link folks to the listing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love the heavy-9. I built my royal Wrinkle a bit different then most.

Hhkb layout isn’t for me. But I can understand it’s appeal. I hope this is a successful product for Norbauer and he continues to offer it. In the mean time I am trying very hard not to get second in white…

2 Likes

Oh my. VHS Heavy-9 :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Pictures soon.

2 Likes

@norbauer, I was lucky enough to pick up a heavy-9 in Royal Wrinkle last month. I am curious, what is the difference between Enigma Black and Royal Wrinkle? I assume it’s the texture but it’s hard for me to tell from pictures.

Also, do you know if all heavy-9s will ship around the same time or if my heavy-9 was part of the previous stock?

Thank you for your beautiful work.

@Dave I’ve been following your work, very cool! May I ask how you were able to convert the board to USB-C? Is there a board available or is this something you made? I’d be interested in giving this a go.

@tinster4x4 led the work on that one.

Used a Keebio USB c breakout board and a JST 2.0 pin connector. Soldered the wires directly to the breakout board. My first attempt didn’t fully work and had to reflow which still boggles my mind as it looked perfectly fine.

Regarding the placement for the Heavy-9. I made a rough 3d printed rectangle with the 2 mounting holes. The heavy-9 just fit a custom cable with the existing hole. I would recommend double checking the cable fits prior to doing any mod (as my non custom cables did not fit). I assume the same would work for the Topre model as the Mx one.

Just a warning make sure you have the wire order right so you don’t fry the PCB… I did make this mistake on a different experimental PCB. :see_no_evil:

I have some ai03 style universal daughterboards coming in. When I have some time, I will go back and make a proper designed mounting bracket that better fits in with the overall refinement of the Heavy-9.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNQRBRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Yes, Royal Wrinkle has a fine wrinkle texture and Enigma Black is a very fine slightly granular texture (but it doesn’t feel rough to the touch). Hope that helps a bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just bought one in Aperture :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

I really love 1800 layouts though! I think I like it more than TKL… Don’t tell my Norbaforce :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Patiently waiting for photos of the VHS to be fully convinced I need a third Heavy-9. :massage_man:

3 Likes

Which ones do you have already?

11 Likes

Two Enigmas: one for home, the other for office.

I’m waiting on GMK Beta, which I think would go perfectly with VHS for that all encompassing cassette tape theme.

2 Likes

really looks great with those ivory keycaps

1 Like

Just ordered mine in VHS, super excited!

@norbauer Is the felt damper included in this round? If not, will there be an opportunity to purchase one in the future?

1 Like

It is indeed included.