[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

@norbauer I’m not sure if this has already been answered elsewhere, but what mounting style does the Heavy-9 use? Is it top-mount, tray-mount, some sort of gasket-mount, etc.?

I don’t have a stock FC980C yet to check its mounting method, but I assume the Heavy-9 will use a different approach than the stock case.

@MrMunich a 6u centered stem spacebar is not so much a modification as it is about being at the right place at the right time. Custom GMK sets will run with optional spacebar kits. Runners will sometimes put a 6u centered stem spacebar in the spacebar kit. For instance GMK wavez has a centered 6u spacebar, so does GMK DMG as shown above.

EDIT: looks like GMK DMG base kit included 6u centered spacebar. So it varies

It is top mount—and probably gasket-compatible if you wanted to cut your own, come to think of it.

2 Likes

While you wait for a reply I’d remain optimistic if I was you. mechanicalkeyboards has a good reputation of filling preorders. The odds are especially good if the Orders Arriving field under preorder information says “all to date”. This means they are expecting a certain number of boards and the number of pre-orders has not exceeded the number of boards they are expecting. If the preorder was oversold then that field would contain an order number indicating the last order expecting to be filled. Not to mention I also pre-ordered the same board last week and received mysterious tracking information today, but the order has not been received by FedEx, so I can not say with any certainty they are shipping yet.

1 Like

For sure! I’ve had great luck preordering with mk before. And they have great customer service, and I’ve seen an item I preordered sell out of preorders, so I agree.

I’m optimistic, but I don’t think I’m “spend $600 on a beautiful aluminum albatross” level optimistic. :grinning:

Most of the MX spacebars of 6u sizes come with an off centered stem for older Cherry G80-xxxx boards. Topre boards have centered 6u spacebars so I add center stems with epoxy.

Most GMK kits with extra spacebars include 2 x 6u spacebars now, one with a center pole and one off center.

Here’s my mod link : Fixing warped PBT space bars - #14 by AdrianMan

1 Like

Not to derail from the purpose of this thread, the beautiful Heavy-9, but i just received tracking information for fc980c from mechanicalkeyboards.com. :slight_smile:

I really want to buy a second one now…but the rational part of me is saying, “It is a topre, it’s solid state, it’ll never break.”

1 Like

Yep, I got tracking info as well. Surprising.

Excellent news, and just in time!

Also got tracking! Going to go order a K2.

1 Like

So I noticed the item listed that I preordered has a new description now.

It used to just say FC980C but now it says FC989C (AECX32). Sure hope that’s not some variant that has internal differences…

Huh, weird, I’ve never heard of it…

Still looks like FC980C to me.

2 Likes

AECX32 is Leopold’s Part no.for the black 30g variant. I have the black 45g at home, and the box has AECX02 on the side.

1 Like

Oops that was a typo. Yeah still FC980C but with the model number added. All is well it seems. Now… must… resist… steel… finish

Send help

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I got the last in-stock fc980c that mechanicalkeyboards. When I received mine, the box was dusty and the board itself was dusty as well. Other than that it was fine. After 3-4 months of use, 30g topre is really nice and a unique experience. I can’t wait to pair it with the royal wrinkle finish!

2 Likes

Just incase anyone wants to spend a little more money… :slight_smile: Extended 2048 topre set goes on sale at 10am ET in stock at KBD fans. Limited number of sets. Compatible with fc980c.

Edit: They actually went on sale at 11am ET. I suspect the whole EST and EDT thing threw the start time off.

3 Likes

And if someone wants a shortcut to a modded FC980c he can take a look at this:

2 Likes

Thanks! I bought two sets. I think it will also look great with my 87U in a ghost of christmas case that my wife is using. (and the icon mods will help her too!)

1 Like

Where? I cant find it on their website.