[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

You’re not being buried with it?

2 Likes

Anyone else here still waiting to receive their FC980M from MechanicalKeyboards? Placed an order back in August. Wouldn’t be surprised if I were to receive the Heavy-9 sooner at this point.

I ordered mine around then and got it a few weeks after. Didn’t you email support?

Emailed MK support back in November and was told they are still waiting on a new shipment and unable to provide an ETA.

I live 15 minutes down the road from them so no, I got mine the next day.

Is the specific model you ordered listed anywhere on their incoming stock page? Looks like they have quite a few shipments incoming from Leopold.

Thanks for that! Located in the Jan 19 shipment. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Their incoming stock has been pushed out for months now…I wish you luck.

FYI, Leopold FC980M’s can be found on amazon, in different colorways than offered by mechanicalkeyboards.com but they cost more, $170. But that is because they come straight from South Korea via DHL express. Amazon even has the brand new red and white colorway Leopolds. This shows that Leopold is still making new keyboards, their production has not stopped.

I am guessing Leopold is having a hard time making the price mechanicalkeyboard sells them at with the increased shipping cost of late, be economically feasible. It looks like mechanicalkeyboards next incoming shipment has a ton of different Leopolds in it so that may be how they are getting around increased logistics cost.

1 Like

Yeah, my order has missed every shipment that it was estimated to arrive in. All good though, happy to continue supporting their business by just being patient. I’m not exactly running short on keyboards…

I think I am on that same MK shipment. I have been waiting since July. The date has been pushed back like 10 times everytime the ETA is around 7 days away they push it back. I really want the yellow one though. I didn’t expect getting into group buy wait times when I purchased it though. There are other shipments with an ETA of March for the fc980m so hopefully things will start coming in regularly again.

It is worth the wait. The with a little lube in the stabs and swapped stock switches with lubed switches the fc980m is a fantastic production keyboard.

1 Like

This may be par for the course with MK.com, I’m not sure, but I know from direct experience that both international and domestic freight shipments are extremely delayed right now. I’m not sure how much of that is COVID directly and how much is second-order effects of how the virus is changing the world shops and interacts, but it’s definitely unlike anything I’ve ever encountered before.

I’m currently waiting on a highly-delayed freight shipment of EVA foam to arrive in order to be able to pack up the Heavies-9, for example. It was manufactured months ago and due to arrive to me weeks ago and, as of latest update, the freight company is now telling me it’ll be after Christmas. :man_shrugging:t2: This is another reason I try to source everything domestically when possible, but I couldn’t find a vendor here in the US that was set up to cut EVA foam sheets at an angle into a wedge, which is required for the new packaging system I’m using (it lets you store your keyboard in the gift box with or without the keyboard/keycaps installed, depending on whether or not you have the wedge-shape plug in place).

2 Likes

On my end, I’m happy to wait - unexpecteds are to be expected. Nothing urgent here. And TBH, the holidays are already exciting. May as well have something to look forward in the gloom of January / February.

1 Like

Regarding indicator leds for fc980c. I also desire the ability to know if num lock is on or not. I decided the easiest route to see indicator light when heavy 9 was assembled was to just slightly shift the hole in the plate for the num lock indicator.

Pretty simple to do. Carefully drilled a hole(a big magnet for shavings is a life-saver) in the plate directly below num lock indicator and flush with the slider housing. Then bent an led as shown and soldered in. Now the light is clear of the case and should certainly be visible even with the heavy 9 case. It is subtle but if you lean forward you can see the light.

1 Like

FWIW, some folks might find a software solution to be more easy and elegant.

Something like:

This is great. Thank you

1 Like

Just a heads up Mechanical Keyboards cancelled my shipment. They are still getting FC980m in just not from that shipment. I have one already now I will probably not order it again but I was hoping to get a yellow one to see if I like a bold keyboard case color before jumping full custom one.

Mechanicalkeyboards.com does have some FC980M’s in-stock in the light blue/gray colorway. While the light blue/gray colorway is the least desirable pbt doubleshot colorway (in my opinion) the $119 price point with free shipping makes the colorway easy to overlook.

Agreed! Especially if you’re tossing it into a Heavy-9 and likely replacing the caps anyway. Plus, it’s MX switches - so the world’s your oyster!

1 Like

FWIW, I really liked the MX red FC980M in the Heavy-9. I actually hesitated for a few days in switching back to my Realforce when testing it out because I like it so much (to my surprise).

By the way, I’ll be sending out an email update soon on the Heavies-9. We’re running what looks like a few weeks behind my target ship date of January 1 for the powder coated housings. Plates and done and black housing are coated, but they unexpectedly had to recoat a lot of the white ones to get the best possible finish, and that is just taking a while. Apologies for the slight delay. I still hope to get these out this month though.

9 Likes