[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

Thank you for letting me know.

I do really enjoy your holiday releases. It’s a nice surprise the last 2 have been very tempting.

Ah, that’s good news. I took too long deciding what color I wanted and missed out entirely. Glad there will be another chance.

Installed my FC980C into my veracity over the weekend. It is truly a luxury housing.

It’s the first time I’ve ever liked the stock black on dark grey keycaps. They look great with the mirror finish.

The sound is incredible, much quieter than before.

Does anybody have any recommendations for cables to pair with veracity? I have an Aviator - Silver from mechcables, and it looks to be a pretty good match. Are there any aviators that are even closer to the mirror finish?

1 Like

Just got my veracity as well, and it is truly a beauty! Installation instructions were detailed yet easy to follow, and the fit and finish is truly something else.

21 Likes

A close up shot showing off the high polish

12 Likes

The metal feels cool and silky while the softly beveled edges (I believe watch fans call it an “Anglage”) make the keyboard shine as you use it. This is truly a delight, and I fully expect people to fight over it when I’m dead. Only setback is the smudging, but that’s unavoidable unless I plan to wear white gloves each time I type.

A quick question: have you guys had experiences with the BKE Redux from Keyclack? The default 45g topre feels a bit mushy for me and I’m looking to upgrade to something a bit springier and more tactile.

1 Like

I had Ultra Light BKEs from keyclack. I liked them fine - they did feel more tactile. but I thought the bottom out was a little harsher. The soft bottom out is one of my favorite things about Topre (I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers). I ended up trading them for a set of Topre variable domes.

No experience with the heavier ones I imagine you’re after. Mine were purchased back in 2018, so might be different from what they’re selling now.

1 Like

Hope your fingers are okay. I suppose a harsher bottom out is the price to pay for tactility, thanks for that.

1 Like

I tried the BKE Ultralights, but they weren’t for me. They have been described by many as being too “binary”, and I tend to agree.

I actually use the Deskeys Blue domes in my Heavy9, and I love them. For me the weight of the Blues are perfect: a tad heavier than the 45g (nowhere near the resistance of 55g, in my opinion), but also very good tactility and snap.

I’ll say this for the BKE domes though; I have taken to using one single BKE ultralight dome on my spacebar for all my Topre boards. Makes for a very sharp snap back on a key that could use it. And I ditched the spacebar spring. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sounds really interesting to me, is the tactility as rounded as stock topre? Im on 55g domes and I love the rounded tactility and soft bottom out.

I wouldn’t describe them as rounded. I know what you’re describing with the stock 55g, and these don’t feel like that.

Agree. I’d peg des somewhere between topre and bke redux. Snappier and more tactile than stock 45, but no where near as harsh as BKE. Short of copping for 55g domes, I’d say they’re the happy medium.

1 Like

Good description. The pink DES domes are definitely less fatiguing on the fingers than the Redux lights or ultralights. The bottoming out has a bit of refinement to it that the redux domes didn’t have. I’m not totally conviced the tactility is for me, though. I still prefer stock 45. I might even like the stock 35g even more.

The thing that’s so nice about Topre is the unique tactility. It’s almost a hybrid between linear and tactile because the bump is so round and long. The replacement domes offered by keyclack and deskeys move in the direction of a tactility that is more in line with something like an mx switch.

I ordered two more colors of des domes to finalize my verdict. However, at this point, I’m going to say that silenced 45g stock topre would be my top pick. I’m lucky enough to have 10 different topre boards to play around with, so I will keep the Deskey domes in one of them for the novelty. I have had my keyclack domes sitting unused in a closet for 2 years, if that tells you anything about my opionion of them :slight_smile: Also playing around with different thicknesses of silencing rings on Deskey domes. Might find an interesting combination some day.

2 Likes

Agree with you regarding the appeal of topre. The problem I had with stock 45g is that just resting my pinky would frequently trigger shift :sweat_smile:

Accounts from a friend are that heavier des domes have more of that “round” Topre feel and bottom out. Des greens with #3s are closest to 55g topre. I have purples in my 980 with a variety of domes in the f-row, and I can say the heavier the des dome, the less harsh it gets. Still more mx tactility though.

I’m curious to hear your experience with the new domes.

1 Like

That damn left shift! I play a lot of overwatch and I can’t tell you how many times I accidentally press it. It’s one of the reasons I can’t use my Unikorn to game. I purposefully put light switches in it to change things up. Welp, it’s just left shift all day long for some reason.

Maybe swapping out for a heavier switch on that key would work. Same with domes maybe. Ha.

1 Like

I’ve got a stock silenced 45g 660c, thinking I’ll just put some heavier mods on it.

Thanks for the info, I guess stock 55g is still the way for me.

Thanks for the information, these detailed descriptions are really helpful. Didn’t even know about DES until you guys mentioned it here. From what I heard, I’ll go with those. Too bad we can’t get 55g topres without consuming a Realforce.

Update: I ended up getting a used fullsize Realforce 55g on ebay for $180. I’ll swap the domes with my Heavy-9 (making them heavier lol) and keep the Realforce as my home keyboard. Maybe I’ll swap the keycaps with colors that match my curtains. Thank you all again for sharing your experiences.

Are all the cases sent out? Still waiting for any confirmation that my k2 and veracity are on it’s way.

1 Like

Hi this is AJ, Ryan’s colleague who will be assembling your board. We had to send a few K2 units back for refinishing that didn’t meet our quality control checks at first, but we just got those back last week and should be packaging up your order for shipment in the coming few days. If you have any further questions, feel free to email us at shop@norbauer.com!

5 Likes