[GB] the Heavy-9: aftermarket housing for the Leopold FC980C and FC980M

Just got mine.
The keys, as observed by someone a few posts ago, are slightly floating. Just a tad dissapointing, but it’s a quick fix: Just cut out some thin material (maybe even rubbery for some extra dampening) and glue it along the inner edge where you fasten the board. I use it with a FC980M, maybe it’s different with a FC980C.

The other thing is that there is no option to raise the angle of the keyboard. I really thought this would be included seeing it was included on the Norbaforce. I’ll just put some big rubber feet underneath and call it a day.

Neither are showstoppers. Apart from these niggles, I really like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be interested to see if anyone tries to add a gasket/o-ring to the mounting points. In theory it should work. That’s the great thing about having a break-out board for the USB. However, it’s possible the mounting of the break-out board will come into contact with the PCB if you lower it any. That was the case in the Heavy-6 when I tried out the prototype for the MX PCB in it.

1 Like

waiting for heavy-9 extras oh-so patiently Q_Q

The neutral position for MX keys is higher than Topre keys with respect to the plate, especially in comparison to Topre keys with silencing rings.

@theMan for informational sake.

But the board I asked about has Topre switches, right? Judging by the look of the ansi enter key icon.

3 Likes

Good eye!! :slight_smile: Maybe it is the angle then, the F12 key and \ key look as expected. I am not surprised the stabilized keys are higher, since that is not uncommon.

yeah i think it’s the angle and lighting. We shall see. Mine is supposed to be here soon!

1 Like

does anyone know if the 980C plastic housing fits the 980M?

It does. This is my 980M inside of a 980C case. It’s the exact same case, although the 980M had a dampener inside. There are standoffs screws or whatever they are called for both the M and C daughter boards.

2 Likes

ahhh excellent. i’m kinda bored with my plain gray-ish 980M stock case and might go hunting for cases now that people are moving their boards into Heavies-9 :smiley:

I forget who, but somebody asked me to share some images of the bespoke powder options. Here are a few that I snapped when over at the workshop the other day.

22 Likes

Wow, that yellow one is very nice!

Here is my retro refrigerator.

Trying to decide on keycaps. Unfortunately, I think the stock gray would have looked best but I have black. Sticking with 2020 EC for now (last photo here)

Harsh lighting makes everything more saturated here than reality. But the colors are relatively accurate

EC 2048

Stock black on black

2020 EC

Not a fan of how the blue accent caps look against the case color with the 2020 set, but you unfortunately don’t get a non-accent option with this set.

Which keycap set should I use?
  • EC 2048
  • Black on Black
  • 2020 EC

0 voters

12 Likes

Whoa, this looks great!

2048 would be my vote. :slight_smile:

1 Like

looks like you guys like EC 2048. I think I’ll swap back to it and put some of the novelty caps on to spice it up. Thanks for the input.

I find the pink and cream yellow quite interesting to look at amongst the other colors. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Oh man, that cream / beige…

1 Like

It is absolutely gorgeous and I wasn’t planning on getting a retro H9, but my goodness.

1 Like

Picked up a 980m for $50 on eBay. Can confirm that adding o-rings to the mounting points works well. I’m using the ones that came with my novatouch (meant for switch silencing). Slightly lowers the keycaps into the case and adds just a touch of shock absorption. I like it :+1:t2:

The problem I have now is that I love my 35g topre for this case too. Hmmm… maybe they’ll be more heavy 9 cases at some point?

11 Likes

Woah, neato. I’ll have to do that next time I open mine up. Thanks for trying it out :slight_smile:

Aperture H9

8 Likes