Giant V3 Linear with Extra Long Spring

https://keyspresso.ca/collections/frontpage/products/group-buy-giant-v3-linear-switches

It’s another JWK recolored linear but Extra Long Spring part peaked my interest:

The longer spring inside the housing will become essentially ‘pre-loaded’, reducing the difference between actuation and bottom out.

Could the length be what makes Telios spring feel different?

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s how springs work. Wouldn’t this essentially be like using a slightly heavier spring? If you say it’s 67g with a long spring so that it’s preloaded, wouldn’t that just mean it’s a 67g actuation spring with something like a 80-85g bottom out? That would be the same behavior as a 80g spring in the end, wouldn’t it?

I guess what we need to see is some force curve graphs.

1 Like

Hmmm, using different length springs is smart.

Fun fact, the only different between Halo Clears and Halo Trues is the spring length/strength. The stems are the same! And if you used both of those before, you will definitely know the impact of changing the stem length can be (for tactiles).

As for linears, I’m not sure how well these will work or matter if they will work. The stem will return to position faster if preloaded I suppose, but isn’t it otherwise the same as just starting partway through the press force-wise?

:man_shrugging: With that in mind, my initial hypothesis would be:

On a switch with an extra long spring, the initial force of the press would be greater than a switch with a normal length spring. In addition, the difference between initial and bottom out force would have a smaller delta compared to a switch without a longer spring.

I also could be completely speaking out of my ass. I didn’t major in physics, and I barely remember how to use F = -kx

4 Likes

Makes sense to me - and it also reminds me of this …representation of a force curve graph about SPRiT “slow curve” springs:

The TTC gold pink linear on my tester is very light, but does also manage to feel pretty snappy - I wonder if that might be a result of a similarly “pre-loaded” spring.

1 Like

From what I can glean from this, this will be a much heavier feeling switch.
The graph Deadeye posted for slow-curved…just make the origin point of the line higher up closer to the end force.

I don’t personally think I would be a fan of such a slight difference in forces in my travel. :man_shrugging:

From the Giant V3 product page:

reducing the difference between actuation and bottom out.

This suggests lower angle of force curve slope. This hobby is full of surprises so I’m not going to second-guess how that feels in use except to say it’d be counter-intuitive if that felt heavier than sharper slope.

By lower angle of force curve slope, I mean like the difference between MX Red and MX Black in this force curves of Cherry MX switches. Gray line is I think MX Clear.

cherry-force-curves

I just compared the feel of Tealios V2 against NK Dry Yellow and Cream (forgot I spring swapped Creams). Unless I’m imagining things, amount of force needed to press Tealios doesn’t seem to rise as fast as the other two.

1 Like

Got mine in today! Totally forgot about the spring, so when I opened them and saw how funky it is, I assumed it was a “complex” spring like Sprit springs which would have light starting force. But man, they are so fucking linear it feels almost like the same weight from top to bottom. Could tell immediately which was cool.

2 Likes

^ Can confirm the springs look crazy, and the bottom and top weight feel exactly the same lol.

1 Like

This weekend I compared the Springs of T. Tealios (63.5 g) with TX Springs. I noticed that the force needed to press T. Tealios (63.5 g) is greater at start than for the T. Tealios with modded TX Springs (65g).Only shortly before the bottoming out of the TX Spring version it needs slightly more force. So I assume that Tealios Springs are generally slow curved.

Since I’m relatively new to switch/spring modding, I can’t yet say which curve for linear switches is more convenient for me. What kind of experiences have you made with this?

They do sell these springs separate now, but these recolors do look pretty cool.

2 Likes