Glorious GMMK Pro

Function keys too important in gaming, perhaps? i.e. F1-4 for League is why i swap out my 65% that i’m using to break in creams with my Realforce

3 Likes

I’d also definitely imagine that they’re using the 75% form factor to distinguish themselves in a segment where the NK65, DZ65, etc are so popular. I’d imagine anyone who already owns one of those boards would find the 75% of this board a unique attribute that would make picking one up more enticing.

4 Likes

Afaik they are not working with anyone in via or QMK. It’s a complete mystery as to what MCU they’ve used and/or what other technical decisions they’ve made. QMK has a pretty active discord and it would be pretty easy to reach out.

6 Likes

:thinking:
I wonder if they’re just not at that phase yet, or are underestimating the integration. I can understand companies wanting to keep their work to them, but I wonder how the final implementation will be, or how they’ll reach out (if they haven’t already).

1 Like

Under the terms of the QMK license, GPL, they are required to release source code. They are not legally obligated to make it good or anything that can be upstreamed however. Any company can claim they are QMK powered, it’s quite another thing to actually work with the community.

5 Likes

this blows my mind. I added a knob to recent project of mine (garbage truck) and whipped up some code for my configurator to make programming the knob easy. It’s not complicated and certainly doesn’t require a full dev team to get support for.

4 Likes

You only have to support a limited number of keyboards. There are over 500 in the QMK repo. Making it generic requires a bit more effort.

1 Like

it’s already supported generically, the configurators are just a ui on top. Anything I implement in my configurator I do in a way that it can be reused. I’ve recently open sourced my configurator and PRs are accepted for adding additional boards.

5 Likes

It may be for you, but there are few more moving parts in the QMK API. I’m sure if you were to contribute to that, we would all be appreciative.

1 Like

I’ve tried before. My pr stayed open for months after I made the requested changes.

2 Likes

Yeah. The perils of volunteer driven organizations. Not going to defend it, but that’s the way things are.

2 Likes

yeah I understand that. I just have too much going on for me to be constantly pushing for things to get merged in.

1 Like

That’s definitely part of open source unfortunately. Patience of the buddha.

1 Like

To be fair, that’s what it feels like haha.

And remember, you were able to whip up the code yourself. Imagine a simpleton like myself :joy:

1 Like

that was my point. I dislike coding my layouts so much so that I created a configurator. Adding a ui to existing configurators for rotary encoders is not a complicated task. I’m really surprised it has yet to be added to the current options. Coding shouldn’t be a pre-req for using a custom mapping

3 Likes

It’s relatively easy at a coding level because of the efforts of QMK. But it’s less easy when you take into account:

number of encoders
position on the board
wether they are also part of the matrix
multiple positions for those encoders but using the sharing the same lines.

I’m glad you had a positive experience with encoders, but please don’t make it seem like it’s a trivial problem for N boards. That would be unfair to the developers that enabled it.

1 Like

decouple the rotary actions from the button press. put the button in the keymap and then just display a list of encoders and the actions that can be applied. it’s really not that difficult, but go on and keep making excuses for why a ui doesn’t exist.

I’d say 90% of use cases could be covered by a pretty basic implementation

4 Likes

Yep, thank you for your input on the architecture of the QMK API. The UI actually cannot send data the API cannot process. Can you please go further into how that would be accomplished without an API endpoint? I am waiting with baited anticipation?

1 Like

Great discussion @evangs & @yanfali, but would probably be best in #learning-and-discussion:firmware-programming-and-hardware-compatability :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe QMK is getting too bloated if it’s so hard to add such a basic feature…

I’ve definitely ruled out using QMK for my own projects because there’s so much overhead and it seems like it would be a lot of work to add in my own features.

2 Likes