Glorious GMMK Pro

decouple the rotary actions from the button press. put the button in the keymap and then just display a list of encoders and the actions that can be applied. it’s really not that difficult, but go on and keep making excuses for why a ui doesn’t exist.

I’d say 90% of use cases could be covered by a pretty basic implementation

4 Likes

Yep, thank you for your input on the architecture of the QMK API. The UI actually cannot send data the API cannot process. Can you please go further into how that would be accomplished without an API endpoint? I am waiting with baited anticipation?

1 Like

Great discussion @evangs & @yanfali, but would probably be best in #learning-and-discussion:firmware-programming-and-hardware-compatability :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe QMK is getting too bloated if it’s so hard to add such a basic feature…

I’ve definitely ruled out using QMK for my own projects because there’s so much overhead and it seems like it would be a lot of work to add in my own features.

2 Likes

Fortunately there are lot of alternatives now. EasyHID, Keyplus, kmk, zmk, and tmk so you are spoiled for choice.

1 Like

If mechmerlin drops in on this argument that’s my fault and I don’t apologize :eyes:

Both of y’all are awesome and you know stuff I don’t but why the hell does a firmware have an API

Also sorry Huey but if you really want this on another thread I’ll just make one for them, Mortal Kombat style. EVAN VS QMK-CONFIGURATOR DEVS, FIGHT

NEVERMIND I MADE A NEW TOPIC QMK Rotary encoder support

2 Likes

If anyone is interested reservations are open now.

1 Like

Interesting,

QMK/VIA compat out of the box, but it looks like they’re going with their own GUI

3 Likes

Curiosity got the best of me. That, and my wife wants an entry custom board with an F Row and arrows, so I pre ordered the GMMK Pro. At the cost my expectations are that it probably won’t suck. And I think it’s a great idea for an entry to the hobby.

2 Likes

Me too! I took the gamble. :game_die:

I was debating white but went with the safe black option. For my experience they did a good job with the website not crashing during the reservation process. Plus they did say that there will be a few reviews before final purchase needs to be made. So if it isn’t good at least I will get my $70 back. If I go forward with it and have regrets should be able to get the cost back in the aftermarket.

As far as VIA and QMK my prediction is everything except the knob will work day one they very carefully worded this on the product page. I can see it being read it as “works with QMK and VIA”. But if you want fully customizability use our software. Their proprietary software should be complete by the time I get it which is good enough for me. I am sure this will eventually help the community for QMK and VIA it just takes time.

I was one of the earliest in line for the reservation. As you say, it hits all the right marks, more than I expected to afford in a kit, polished and ready to go, so I can spend more time with the switches, and doing all that creative stuff we’re supposed to get done with these tools…

Went against the odds and praying for the best when paying for that reservation for a black.

Lest all their debatable traits, they are answering what some of us really wanted. A nice good board without having to program bots to lineup and snatch it within first 5 minutes of launch.

I just reserved the black option myself, really looking forward to this board also, not a knob guy myself but to many other good things to pass on

I felt that way as well, but now I’m already planning the functions for it.

1 Like

What do you mean? It’s a 75% board, so it has function keys. Basically a TKL with reduced nav cluster, bottom row and without print/ scroll lock/ pause keys.

Sorry, it was in response to this question from Manofinterests.

I understand that completely. My preferred board size is 60% but I still use at least a TKL when I’m gaming. I need those extra function keys and I cant fumble with FN layer keys when I’m in a firefight in Battlefield for example. Muscle memory would just cause a shit show if I tried to relearn using layer too.

1 Like

Hear, hear!

I thought so too until I put the FN on the caps lock.

Looks like the first hands on is going to be tomorrow.

5 Likes