Glorious GMMK Pro

Looks like the first hands on is going to be tomorrow.

5 Likes

hmm interesting. also TIL Switch & Click

3 Likes

What do you need the function keys for in league? I have been playing for years and have never used those. They seem so far, like I would need to completely take my hand off the default position.

I have never had any issues gaming with a 60% except for grand theft auto where you needed like a numpad or something to fly the helicopter

2 Likes

Yeah it will definitely be interesting to see an actual unit of the GMMK Pro. I’m really curious about how thick the case pieces will be, how well the finishing is done, & if their gasket mounting actually works right to allow for flex. Those are the three things that I’d be worried about if I was in this GB. Because I honestly feel like they’re gonna have to cut corners somewhere to meet that price point. I’m thinking the case is gonna be thin & light to meet it, but we’ll see what they came up with?

4 Likes

Haha, just a Shen taking a peek at his teammates around the map. I can see on minimap if they’re around other enemies, and their HP on their portraits, but I like to look at their view before making ult plays!

1 Like

Hey, good for Switch & Click! They’re probably one of the fastest growing / progressing keyboard channels right now. They started off making solid if technically amateur videos, and in the span of maybe a year they’ve totally pulled a Gohan - they’ve leveled-up their production quality and content organization and are keeping up with some of the highest quality producers in the space. Right on, Betty & co.

7 Likes

Here is a recording of that Twitch stream mentioned above. It’s kinda hard to watch. I wish Glorious had just sent a GMMK Pro to Switch and Click and let them do their thing.

However, I didn’t spot any red flags on the product. What did I miss? :smile:

8 Likes

The year has just started and I promised myself no more keyboard. I have the one I built and love, I have the Leopold, I have the full size at work. I thought just of modding the Leopold with new switches and ordered a GMK set for it.

And boom I see this on reddit and have not seen it before even though I bought stuff at glorious before.

I did not even debate with myself this time before I clicked pre order. Usually I think of: come on…you dont need another board.

Welp congrats glorious for making my brain short circuit.

6 Likes

I was one who entered this hobby late (around June/July 2020), and one biggest fancy was Sat75. Then GMMK Pro came along, it was a easy pay and reserve at that point (I still have my reservation to date for a black unit). Ultimately today, I realized how laid back I was when making that decision to pay for that reservation after going through so many streams and hypothesizing builds, setup, lubing method and other mods. So I’ma put out some of my temporary red flags out here.

1. Question from chat: “ESD protection on PCB?” Answer from GMMK: “Not sure”

I felt that this was important, ever since my one of my budget board shorted and learning about ESD protection from Merlin. Also valued it since my purchase of Vega from ai03. If GMMK gets back on this, the product will definitely gain more assurance from the community. Or maybe a vet could share more about this?

1. Question from chat: “Sound test?” Action/Answer from GMMK: None

This was slightly dodgy and got me thinking whether GMMK was truly ready to share the product or was the stream just to build hype? I felt that most streams happened because the designer/product owner wants to provide a neutral and direct response to any queries the community would have on the product in order to part with our money first for a GB/Pre-order. But hey, benefit of doubt, maybe this was a prototype that was not ready to have sound test done to it.

1. Choice of guest streamer.

Hmmm. just not so sure about Switch and Click (Betty) being the first streamer to get their hands on and provide a fruitful response to most out there. No hate, but not knowing what’s ESD, foam in case and North South switches interference bothered me so much that I turned off half way. She may be a good middle ground for consumers coming from mainstream brands (razer/logitech/keychron) But someone like Randomfrankp would actually be slightly more valuable, we’ve seen him done it with NK65 EE, Razer etc, so why not get him for a product that aims to target upcoming consumers or enthusiasts who’s looking for a keeb that hits all the mark of our favorite features? Still, no hate to Betty - Grateful for her content, especially the barebone Keychron sound test that helped me made recommendations to my colleagues and friends.

I guess I’m just overthinking stuff, since I can’t spend more for a Sat75 and learning from dramas around the keeb community. I thought it might be crucial to be critical instead of just forgiving and saying “Oh that’s fine, this is just something luxury we shouldn’t be so depressed”. At the end of the day, my $ is hard-earned and I would naturally demand certain practical returns.

End note, I just wana throw my thoughts straightup since I’m alone in this hobby with no RL friends to talk about it, so if anyone find this offensive in anyway I would love to hear it and improve myself for the betterment when structuring my replies.

9 Likes

No you’re absolutely right, Glorious made a mistake with going with Switch & Click. Although I believe the blame lies squarely at Glorious’ feet. Betty from Switch & Click is not knowledgeable about the custom scene & they put her in a bad position by giving her first look with such limited information. They know what questions people been asking them since the damn thing was announced & they should’ve done their due diligence when selecting someone.

With that said I do not think it fair how much flak is being thrown Switch & Click’s way. She was just trying to do her thing & probably saw getting her hands on a GMMK Pro as good opportunity to push her content to the customs community. It is not her fault Glorious woefully under prepared her for what questions would be coming her way. If they would’ve provided her with that information, I think at the very least she could parroted what was told to her & not looked so unprepared for what people really wanted to know. Big fail all around for Glorious IMHO & a damn shame they dragged someone with little custom keeb knowledge down with them on it.

7 Likes

I don’t worry about the ESD aspect at all since that’s a topic that every professional PCB designer you trust with drawing a board for large-scale production should be aware of. Plus, it’s not Glorious’ first product of that kind. :smirk:

I think that stream was never meant as an in-depth analysis of the product. If Glorious wanted to show that a beginner would be able to tear down and re-assemble the GMMK Pro without panicking and even without voiding its warranty they kinda succeeded, I guess.

If I could have picked a YouTuber to tear down that keeb, I would have picked Chyrosran22 for eloquence, knowledge and entertainment value. If I was a manufacturer, he would be blacklisted from such PR events, though. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I seem to recall the host getting frustrated with the people spamming questions about ESD protection, did he not say that the board had it at that point? I thought he did.

I hear you, but at that point I would just say don’t show it. They have had to been watching the community over the time since it was announced & seen what people want to know. Also they should’ve seen the salt incoming from a mile away since just about every GB causes some type of drama nowadays. I really hate to cater to the a-holes who make all the noise & can’t gracefully take an L in a raffle, because they’re obviously a vocal minority. Although not at least keeping them & what their reactions can do to your product or product showcase in the back of your mind is just a foolish decision IMHO.

2 Likes

I liked switch and click tbh. It’s always nice to see female streamers and Youtubers in a heavily male dominated field.

🤷

3 Likes

I liked switch and click tbh. It’s always nice to see female streamers and Youtubers in a heavily male dominated field.

That’s the whole reason I watch it (and support it that way I hope). And to give it credit, as someone mentioned, their production quality increased rapidly over time.

But seriously, I am often so annoyed by their (Switch and Click) amateurish approach to the hobby. When I first entered this hobby during the 1st big lockdown in my country, I’ve actually learned few things from that channel too. But I’ve noticed that other channels grow and evolve with their owners roughly at the same pace as people who are in the hobby and follow trends/tech advances successfully, while still keeping their unique style of presentation (@Manofinterests, MechMerlin, 3ildcat come to mind), Swith and Click somehow seem stuck in beginner’s quadrant of the market/hobby.

Speaking of female streamers, I would die happy if I die a day after Apiary starts making content like MoI’s “This Week in Keyboards” or Merlin’s “Group Buy News”. That would be so friggin’ epic.
Edit: this indeed does exist, at least in this video with alexotos :slight_smile: Twitch
Edit 2: Apparently she has her variant of “news in keyboards” but only on Twitch and I hang on Youtube mostly. Oh well, ok, Twitch it is I guess.

2 Likes

My understanding of it is switch and click are intentionally trying to stay in the pre-custom territory when it comes to keyboards.

Don’t think they really want to tinker too much and just want what’s best out of the box. Not necessarily good or bad. Just an observation.

Expecting them to know the ins and outs of customs is a bit much. Not every channel that talks about keyboards has to graduate to customs.

3 Likes

It doesn’t, for sure. But she does flirt with the customs, and more often lately. And the results are cringy often; did you watch “how I lube switches” or an attempt to fix Dorp keeb?

Again, I am a subscriber, I watch their vids but last few months purely to help their views. It’s not the worst channel out there, we only talk about it because of how bad GMMK Pro stream was. Badseed Tech does this “beginner quadrant” much better. But also, for example, The Techne does it (likely arguably, but IMO) worse.

3 Likes

I like to encourage the S&C duo because of how hard they’ve been trying and advancing, but I have to agree they just weren’t prepared for this one.

In the abstract, picking someone who focuses more on the entry / commercial side of boards would make sense as this is sort of a transitional product that straddles the line between pre-built and custom, but it seems Betty wasn’t working with enough of the custom sensibility to evaluate the board as-such. (Honestly a little surprised about the south-facing thing; I know plenty of people have discussed the topic in the comments section of their videos.)

I do think they’ll take this opportunity to learn, though - that’s always what’s impressed me about their channel. I’d probably give them the “most improved” award; most channels I watch have been pretty consistent with quality. BST started strong and has been adding polish over time, and I give him props for focusing on the details that matter. Same with RFP.

S&C started pretty darn scuffed and almost totally uninformed - but they’re determined and it does show in how much they’ve improved over the past year. (As an aside, I’ll note they started selling a keeb themed Straight Outta Compton parody shirt the day after I posted one here for lols)

I think this stream will be a harsh lesson for them - I hope they take it in-stride and learn to identify and accommodate the different sectors of the hobby in a more focused manner.

4 Likes

IMO I think Betty had a place on the stream while the other two didn’t. I watched most of the stream and the two glorious personnel seemed to be concerned with showing off the RGB and repeating how nice it looked.

Even with repeated questions that were spammed, they either purposefully dodged them or didn’t know how to answer them. I don’t think that the 2 staff are very informed about customs, which is okay. I would have liked to hear from the people who were involved in the creation and design of the boards – because otherwise how did they come up with the idea of gasket mounting, pcb stabs, qmk/via, etc.?

I believe that the combination of existing skepticism and stream reveal has dampened their hype/breakthrough into the customs scene.

6 Likes