Glorious Pandas

I’m not aware of any further jwk drama, could you elaborate on that first point?
Also, it’s not mine to ‘forgive’ JWK for making clones almost 2 years ago, I respect that they’ve moved on and made a name for themselves since by having made a great part of the community’s favorite switches of the likes of Alpacas, H1s, Tangies, Mauves, etc.

I’m out of the loop when it comes to the Koalas - what’s the deal with those?

I picked some up a while ago for a client who wanted a tactile switch and were going for a muted white and gray theme. The good ones felt good - but they’re super inconsistent. I’m thinking it’s mostly down to loose top housings and careless lube application.

Beyond that I know nothing about them, aside from the marketing assertion that they’re lighter nylon T1’s.

Koalas are just a simple recolor of T1s, “made by” Biip to match the Extended 2048 switch color palette.

3 Likes

I guess I read into it an implication of shadiness about Koalas? IIRC T1’s were initially a KBDfans thing - were they cool with Biip and the Koalas?

The thing for me that lives in Sweden is that the only switches u can buy from a company here is the Glorious Gateron switch packs for the GMMK.
Those sell for ~49$/120 pieces + free shipping. If these HPs come with a similar price tag it will be pretty tempting to buy a pack.

1 Like

So as I understand it, JWK is an OEM of sorts, and JWK buys manufacturing time at Kailhs factory. JWK works with designers and vendors to make recolors of their popular T1 tactile and their linear switches. This is done for Durock, TKC, and many others. I don’t think there was any I’ll will here with the Koalas.

The bigger issue, that has since passed, was that JWK was making full on cloned Zeal switches (including the Zeal logo!) and selling them to KBDfans. Zeal figured this out when looking at the numbers of switches KBDfans was selling, vs what he was selling to them. The practiced was stopped and JWK moved on to making their new linear and tactile switches that have been a huge success. Since their new stuff is so good, and everywhere, people have since forgotten how they stared off and buy their product now.

2 Likes

Good for Glorious for stepping up to the plate! I will be buying these once they come out. I like vendors who actually have their shit together so this sounds very promising. The same can’t be said about Drop.

I’m sorry, but I keep seeing this topic (original topic was Glorious Holy Pandas) as Glory Hole Pandas. I will now see myself out of the room.

11 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Big deal? Capitalism buddy. I’d rather have a company producing switches than one that never restocks. This hobby is growing very quickly and most makers are being complacent in not riding the wave.

Yeah, but the way GMMK went about it is so shady.

3 Likes

zeal has pretty much constant stock these days

3 Likes

I love how these threads always bring the “stealing IP is fine because capitalism” people out of the woodwork lol.

8 Likes

How is it stealing intellectual property?? That’s what patents are for. You just seem to hate capitalism lol.

1 Like

How is asking the manufacturer to sell you something cutting out the IP owner not IP theft?

8 Likes

Dude what are you rambling on about? They contacted whoever made the invyr housing, figured out the factory that produced them and are working with them. They’re even producing their own stems. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Also if you know anything about IP, you’ll know that IP attorneys are expensive and cases are typically hard to fight and definitely impossible if you have no patent. Stop being so salty about Drop having competition.

Do you not remember posting that 39 min ago?

2 Likes

And???

it’s not worth my time to argue with trolls. have a nice day

5 Likes

Yeah point made. By your logic, any frankenswitch maker should pay royalties based on the parts of the switch they used. I don’t see that happening. Nobody bitches but instead are happy that a good switch is out.