GMK Bleached is yellowing after 4 months

Does going yelow affect the switch? (as in plastic deteriorating)

Before I sold my Bobas I could swear they weren’t as pearly as they were but a sealed sample was the same color so i waived it, maybe they both got a bit yellow…

2 Likes

Retro brightening. But it comes with a risk so do your homework.

1 Like

Not as far as I can tell.

Comparing side-by-side, the top housing clips seem about the same flexibility, and the switch itself doesn’t appear to sound, feel, or behave any differently. It just looks like sun-baked, brittle plastic.

Was there ever any resolution for the yellowing keycaps? I just pulled my set out from storage in the original packaging and am seeing some really bad yellowing.

2 Likes

I do not think so, although it may be worth reaching out to GMK or one of it’s representatives. The amount of yellowing I’ve seen on some sets of Bleached & other sets that used WS1 is wholly unacceptable IMHO. Also if you do reach out it would be worth mentioning that there are some people out there who’s sets have not yellowed. I’m still convinced GMK ended up using 2 different batches of ABS for Bleached. I’m one of the lucky ones who’s set has not yellowed at all even though I have had some of the set on display. I never had the caps in direct sunlight, but also never tried to protect them from it either. I’d be more than willing to send you or GMK current pics of my set if they’d want them after you talk to them. Just PM me on here if you’d need any info from me.

1 Like

I was considering a GMK set (not Bleached), and although this is an old post, it makes me very reluctant to make the purchase. They’re just too expensive if they aren’t going to last very long.

I’m grateful for the discussion because I realize that I need to store my keycaps and switches differently. I had thought that airtight containers were best.

1 Like

This issue was fairly isolated. I got a set of Bleached that is still fine. I think they had to get lower quality ABS during the pandemic & that is the underlying issue that caused WS2 sets made during that period yellow so fastly. With sets ran before or since then youll be fine if you grab one.

1 Like

I think what’s off-putting isn’t just that the incident happened, but rather that it’s unclear what, if any, resolution the affected customers got from GMK. Did people wind up getting their affected sets replaced? Or were they just out of luck?

Also, this is not the only quality issue that we’ve seen from GMK in recent years. For example, warped spacebars and twisted stems.

Is GMK really worth the price?

3 Likes

I guess it depends on what you expect. I own around 100 GMK sets. I don’t have issues with any of them. Do they have issues? Probably… I’ve never really looked for problems. They’re neat colored plastic, and some of them were designed by my keyboard colleagues.

I also own lots of SP keycaps and several dozen cheap sets. I buy what I think looks cool. I like the legends on GMK caps so I buy them more often than not.

3 Likes

Someone should bleach their yellowed GMK Bleached set so we can go full circle with the bleach

8 Likes

Granted, not my keyset, but…

I think the aging on it is kinda cool. I hate things that are meant to be pristine to be enjoyed because it breeds a resistance to usage for me. That resistance to use removes the utility for me while simultaneously rendering the item a source of anxiety.

Things that display unique character through usage and age encourages me to use things for their utility and enjoy the uniqueness of their wear patterns.

Maybe the idea of freezing things in perfection makes that object occupy a sort of uncanny valley in my mind. Everything in the world is ephemeral depending how far you zoom out. Things that are meant to stand in resistance to that notion weird me out.

4 Likes

You might enjoy the shine thread

2 Likes

Haha I absolutely do. I’m one of the sickos who likes the shine of well loved sets.

2 Likes

As someone who owns close to 50 GMK I would say they are worth the price. Like @pixelpusher said, sure there are issues from time to time with GMK sets, but usually the vendors & GMK will make it right. Although I can understand the hesitance to drop so much on a keycap set too. You might want to check Keykobo’s & Drop’s DCX sets first to see if a GMK set would be worth it for you. They both have very comparable quality to GMK for less money.

2 Likes

Not to dig up an old thread (but here I am), but my Bobagums that are on my pegboard behind curtains looked so much lighter than the ones in my board I thought they were different switches at first. Cant remember which board I have them in but if I find it later I can post a picture. Took me a minute to figure out they were both indeed bobagums.

4 Likes

Yep - that’s why the only (new) Gazzew Bobas you can still buy these days are black, and all the newer Gazzew switches in other colors are a different blend.

3 Likes

I suppose OG Boba switches have aged the same way actual boba would age if you left it out on your desk for a few months/years…

I mostly agree, though I think the incredibly short time frame on GMK Bleached yellowing is the problem here. It’s the difference between a classic car that needs restoration and finding out your 2023 Mercedes rusted out in less than a year.

2 Likes

Also, while it’s not my personally preferred style, I could understand how others may have specifically wanted a cool, crisp white and would be very disappointed to see their set so quickly fail to live up to what they wished for.

1 Like

Exactly.

1 Like

Just tell folks its “Antique White”. :wink:

2 Likes