GMK Nautilus Nightmares

@pixelpusher I used your pic in the drop discussion for the set. I didn’t credit it to you since it may stir up some shit which I thought you may not want associated with. I certainly will edit the post if you don’t care. I just wanted to give some understanding to those who knew the set looked different than they remembered.

1 Like

Hrm, what I would like to see much more than Nautilus Nightmares are Percebe and Tokyo66. :slight_smile:

Oops, really? *checksmassdrop* Indeed. F*ck, didn’t notice this. That’s really a bummer. Wonder if I should cancel my order…

Nautilus Nightmares is still cool, just not what I was looking for. I think the original might have been quite close in spirit to GMK Wavez now that I’ve seen photos of wavez. I can see why he might have wanted to go with a different take on the set.

1 Like

I see, thanks for that detail. Wasn’t aware of that similarity. For some reason, GMK Wavez never really triggered a “WANT!” inside me…

I like sharp contrasts, and the original NN already reminded me of a grubby pond full of algae. And the new one with even less contrast does even more so, even though the slightly lighter colors work a bit against that look, at least if it’s a rather deep pond. (That were quite some “even” in one sentence. :slight_smile:)

Why isn’t the set getting more traction on the GB ?

Because GB version is very different from the IC version, as if it was photographed 50 feet underwater. Murky and unattractive.

9 Likes

I think that is exactly what’s going on. Changing that set was some sneaky business that may have bit him in the ass. That and Olivia++ which launched at the same time will probably clear 2500 base sets – that’s some stiff competition for our money.

4 Likes

For me that was the deal breaker so you guys are onto something there as to why this isn’t selling like crazy. The day NN went live I loaded up my cart on Drop & placed my order, then when I found out the colors had been changed & I saw the new look I immediately cancelled my order. I’m sure there are more than a few others who did the same or never even bothered ordering a set because of the change too.

5 Likes

Changing the colors right before launch was a terrible move and then when questioned about it there wasn’t a great response from zamb. It’s his set and he can do what he wants but what’s the point of an IC where you drum up interest, get folks excited, make ‘em wait months and months and then out of the blue change the set right before launching the gb?

6 Likes

I understand now. I wasn’t a fan of the set in the beginning and did not plan to join, that’s why I haven’t noticed the color changing.

I wonder how many keysets can the community absorb in the future as I feel there’s a big increase in availability starting with late 2018…

Count me in as someone who likes the original IC but dropped out because of the muted legends. The set benefits from more contrast, IMO, not less - especially since the keys are all very dark.

2 Likes

Preaching to the choir brother, the whole situation doesn’t make much sense to me either. Why change after such a well received IC? Then to get snippy with people just asking why or expressing they liked the original colors better was not a good look at all IMO. I agree that someone is free to do as they please with something they created. Although I also feel like if you start an IC for something & involve the community in it’s creation you should respect the direction it takes. If you want to have total control over something like this, just take it straight to GB & avoid the drama.

4 Likes

better yet, skip GB. Take on the risk yourself and produce your product, then sell it. In 2020 I’d like to see less GBs from vendors. I’d like to see vendors actually be vendors and take on the risk rather than shoving all of the risk to the buyers. GBs are great for making stuff that otherwise wouldn’t exists, especially when the runner isn’t a vendor.

6 Likes

Amen my dude. People keep talking about “post-MOQ” world, but I’d really like to see a post GB world in 2020. There are enough big vendors now I’d love to see some of them step up a bit and be more professional and just buy the stuff ahead of time and then sell it right away rather than the shitshow that is GBs. Of course I don’t know real numbers but I bet that even if some of the bigger ones don’t have the cash on hand they could get it to make this happen with their revenue numbers. I vaguely remember SA abyss being done that way and was very impressed with those guys.

2 Likes

I just cancelled my Nautilus Nightmares order. These things together were just too much:

• Late color change towards less contrast and lighter alphas. No more looks like the deep sea, just like moldy pond.
  • No MiniVan support. (Still can’t get it. Why?)
  • Accents are not really red but just grey. The red is an optical illusion (which is impressive, granted) and I fear that it doesn’t work as good in real life.
3 Likes

I’d like that as well except GB is the primary support keeping resell value high as well as encouraging new purchases despite ridiculous prices. Taking it off the table will be a crushing blow to MK community as a whole.

1 Like

Only thing that worries me about post GB is pricing increase. Vendors would likely increase price because they’re taking on risk.

Originative is a pretty good example. It’s awesome they have sets ready, but they’re a lot more expensive because they have to absorb the risk and worry about holding extra stock and longer timelines to get their investment back out.

GBs are nice because cost stays lower as supply is determined directly by initial demand, so the risk is far lower for vendors.

4 Likes

Just because it wouldn’t be a GB wouldn’t mean it wouldn’t still be a limited run, if they ordered say three hundred and sold out right away the value would probably stay high, and you would get the keyset immediately.

I agree and immediately thought of Originative when someone suggested stocking keysets. Like: cool, several-day turnaround! But you’re actually asked to shoulder more risk as a customer in the form of higher prices. GMK prices are already high outside of NovelKeys and Dixie. Would you pay an extra 20% atop of what, say, Kono charges?

Also remember retailers are incentivized to run GBs too - they make a healthy amount selling extras or whenever a set blows past MOQ.

At least in our GB world you can liquidate your sets on the resell market at cost.

2 Likes