GMK Stab questions - why is one side rattly while the other side is perfect? Also do the numbers on the inserts mean anything?

Recently started using GMK screw-ins. Overall they’re great! I have things pretty much tuned to sound perfect for my use.

BUT … it only sounds perfect on the side that I tend to hit, the other side is super rattly :cry:

One strange thing I noticed, when I take the keycap off and hold each stab insert all the way up(as if the keycap were still there); there’s always quite a bit of wiggle room on that opposite side, whereas the side i tend to hit can barely move.

Without adding a lot of unnecessary detail - after experimenting I know how tight the housing is attached has a little bit to do with this and that this is partly my own doing. I have the housing of each stab tightened to varying degrees; side I tend to hit is tight, opposite side is kept a bit looser which somehow makes the side I hit sound fantastic.

What gets me though is that, after trying a multitude of different tightness / looseness levels on the housing - I’m left a bit stumped because there is always seems to be a bit of a rattle no matter what which seems impossible based on the design of the stab.

My best guess is that it’s something to do with the stab wire but I also noticed that the stab inserts are numbered - do those numbers happen to mean anything?

Note that stabs are clipped, lubed, and band-aid’d

Any ideas?

I’m basically fine with how things are but would love it if I could fix this - I’m a bit sensitive to noise ; it’s always a little wincing when I’m going along just fine and then :exploding_head: - I accidentally hit the key on the wrong side

Thanks ahead of time!

2 Likes

This has also happened to me, but is unfortunately on the side that I use, whereas the left side that I don’t use sounds perfect. I think my issue is that the PCB is actually warped on the right-hand side where the stabilizer is going in. Other than that I can’t figure out what the issue would be, as it was done the exact same way as the rest of the stabilizers.

1 Like

It’s why i use zeal stabilizers and lube them a lot. For Cherry brand stabilizers, i put a LOT of dielectric grease on the wire and in the hole where it rattles. Usually eliminates 99% of the rattle.

1 Like

depending on the plate, you might be able to get some more lube down into the hole. I use a toothpick and put lube on the end and cram it down in there. A syringe would be a great idea as well, but I don’t own one.

2 Likes

Yea I saw Zeal’s the other day - as pricey as they are I’m thinking I might have to try those at some point just to compare.

I basically dunked the wire in grease but maybe it still wasn’t enough,

1 Like

I had this issue - but the problem wasn’t the stabilizer, it was a warped spacebar.

1 Like

Dunk is my method. Maybe it’s just too small of a wire to quiet. Those thin wires on non GMK stabilizers sometimes just cannot be quieted.

I finally broke down and bought 8 sets of zeal stabilizers bc I was tired of these issues. You still have to lube them, but you don’t get rattle issues down the road like with GMK ones.

1 Like

That’s an interesting point I hadn’t considered - I’ll keep that in mind next time I look.

Ah yea - I heard warped keys could be a factor. Mine seem ok and the rattle unfortunately can seemingly happen on any stabilized key on my board. :cry:

1 Like

I would just try a diffident stabilizer. The stems of stabilizers can be inconsistent.

1 Like

true but I don’t think it’s really sustainable if you toss out stabs just to find the perfect stab housing/stem combo, especially with Zeal stabs for example :p. Even with GMK that could add up!

1 Like

I think it’s a result of the stabilizer wire not being bent the same amount in the z-axis direction on each side. Therefore, when one side of the wire is touching the top of the insert, the other is slightly below it, causing a rattle. This is why I recommend using dielectric grease and not just 205g0/3204 greases. Dielectric grease is quite thick and sticky. It fills up the void in there so that both ends of the wires move as one. Don’t use it on the outside of the insert, only in the holes that the wires go in. You can put 205g0 or similar on the outside of the insert if you feel it needs more noise reduction.

3 Likes

I think it has to do with the specific keycaps you’re using.
I had the same issue. I tuned my stabilisors with everything you can think of, but the annoying wobble/rattle did’nt go away.
Apparently my spacebar keycap was not completely flat, which made it wobble because there was a bit more room on 1 side of the spacebar.
So maybe you can try a new set of keycaps. In my experience the GMMK sets are always completely flat, but you have to try that for yourself.
I hope i can help you with this.
Greetings

4 Likes

what is up with this thread and people responding almost a year later and then the conversation continues as if no time has passed?

2 Likes

Cuz keyboards come and go, but rattly stabs seem to be eternal.

10 Likes

true

1 Like