Good OEM Sets

Ahoy, experts and enthusiasts.

I realize this might be like walking into a hometown Southern bar and asking for a pineapple pizza with wine, but I’m generally on the look-out for high quality and high compatibility OEM keycap sets. I’ve found good quality ones (Ducky and friends - great caps but only work for the most vanilla layouts) - and ones compatible with many boards (YMD’s PBT offerings with garbage laser engraving or just blank) - but so far no sets that are both.

What can I say - I just prefer typing on OEM profile. Purely for typing, my favorite set so far are the not-so-pretty stock caps on the earlier version of the Anne Pro 2. Legends look meh and plenty of them are a bit twisty, but damned if they don’t sound and feel fantastic. Anyway - does anyone have some suggestions, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

1 Like

I haven’t used OEM in a couple years, but I had a PBT Tai-Hao Miami kit back when I thought that was like the coolest color way there was… I remember the PBT feeling nice and the keycaps being of decent quality. I think you only get the most basic of basic coverage with those kits though.

If you order directly from Tai-Hao you can get a lot of compatibility keys & kits, but from what I’ve heard the shipping to the US is expensive. Also their Cubic caps have a good bit of compatibility now since the NKxTai-Hao Cubic BoW set. I know Cubic isn’t quite OEM, but I think it’s the closest you’ll get to a good quality + good compatibility OEM set. I could be wrong though, OEM is not one of my preferred profiles.

2 Likes

Tai-Hao Cubic is my favorite cheap ABS, so I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Good to know about Tai-Hao - I’ll check into what they have available. I’ve used their ABS keys before, but have yet to try their PBT.

1 Like

Just a heads up @Deadeye that NovelKeys X Tai-Hao BoW set is still available on the NK site. I just grabbed a set to try them out since Cubic profile has intrigued me & at $40 for a high compatibility set the price was definitely right IMO. Not sure how many sets he got left at this point since it’s been up for a few days over a month now, so you may want to jump on a set sooner than later if these interest you. Oh BTW these are doubleshot ABS & thicker than Tai-Haos OEM doubleshot caps. From all I have heard Cubic is a good step up in quality vs Tai-Hao’s OEM ABS caps.

1 Like

These look to have the compatibility I would want, and I do think the profile is similar enough for my purposes - I’m not sure I can pass these up at that price. Any idea if other colors with this level of compatibility might be on the way? I know a friend who would love a white on black set of these.

2 Likes

I can’t say for sure, but I doubt Mike would put in all the work he did with Tai-Hao for just this one set. I could see more showing up in the future & I’m sure a WoB set would be high on the list of sets to be run.

2 Likes

Agreed, I would be surprised if we don’t see more colors in the future, the more accurate question is probably how soon.

2 Likes