Halo switch design

While I’m enjoying the sound of my Holy Bsun board, I realized the sound would be rarer with Halo switch springs and the sharp distinct sound the stem makes on bottoming out is very likely intended as a warning to user to press less hard.

If this was the design intention, the designer should have made the sound less pleasing. As is, it just sounds too good to not bottom out.

But the stem posts don’t hit the bottom of the stock housings. Kailh’s non-box switches have longer centre shafts than normal MX clones, for whatever reason.

I do also find the sound of transplanted kailh stems very pleasing, though. Not so crazy about the bottomed-out wobble but I can live with it.

But the stem posts don’t hit the bottom of the stock housings. Kailh’s non-box switches have longer centre shafts than normal MX clones, for whatever reason.

Really. Hard to notice by sound nor by sight. Sound is still pretty loud and extruding knob is about same length. And key travel even feels shorter than Holy Panda.

Another weird thing is that Outemu Sky’s extruding knob looks visibly longer yet key travel is shortened until stem tip is cut off.

As to bottomed-out wobble, I haven’t noticed it in any of the Holy hybrids. Holy Sky is a bit wobbly. Holy Ice less so and about same as Holy Panda and Bsun.

While I clipped the extra bit off the Halo stems I put into V1 Zealio housings, I do have to admit the rain drop like sound of non clipped Holy variants is really nice! I decided to cut mine since I put them into my aluminium Clueboard which is a very very quiet case & I wanted to keep that quietness as much as I could.

1 Like

I found that, ‘unclipped’ Halo stem was bottoming out harshly and was unpleasantly loud using 65g spring. Raising the spring weight to 68g solved the problem. I did keep 65g springs in ‘pure modifiers’ (Shifts, Ctrl, Alt, OS, FNs) because heavier springs on those keys didn’t feel that great.

1 Like

Unrelated to sound, but related to Halo switch design…

I just got some stock Halo trues in, and I am surprised at how much wobble there is on a key when bottomed out. It’s noticeable on all keys but especially 1.5U and 1.75U. Anyone else notice this? Is this still true when using the halo stems in other housings? (Going to put some stems in Zealios in a couple weeks)

I just checked and can confirm that, when switched is fully depressed, Halo True switch noticeably wobbles more than other switches, like Holy Panda or Outemu Sky. Normally, this type of wobbliness doesn’t bother me but it may be something to watch out for.

1 Like

Using Outemu ICE tops (the ones without a slit for LEDs) will help tremendously with wobble on frankenswitches using Halo stems IME. I just got a bunch to use with my batch of Outemu Skies & decided to give them a try on the Zealios with Halo true stems I am running in my Clueboard. I was experiencing a good bit of wobble with them using the stock Gateron tops Zealios come with. The results from switching them to Outemu ICE tops was very good, even when a key is pressed all the way down the wobble is still noticeably reduced. You can get just the tops from hbheroinbob over on Reddit, just send him a PM if you’re interested.

1 Like