Has anyone tried alternative stems in marshmallow housings?

Hi there,

I’m curious if anyone has tried other stems with these housings?
Particularly interested in zelios, zilents and halos…
I love my zealpc switches but I’m not that fond of the sound sometimes and I blame the transparent housings.
The halo stems, well just curious because I have 70 of them around and wondering if going for the marshmallows or another round of YOK switches.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’d say it really depends on the tactility you’re looking for TBH. I haven’t gotten any Marshmallow switches to mess around with yet, but given they are a linear switch the leaf pressure is likely to be very low & make for a light to medium tactile switch depending how aggressive of a tactile stem you go with. As far as the sound goes I can almost guarantee it make a deeper thocky sound than stock Zealios, those have always made high pitched bottom & top out thank to the material used for the clear housings, so you are right about that.

Although you achieve a very similar sound profile by just swapping out out the top housings on Zealios to any solid colored housing, or using all cherry housing (know as Cherrios).

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks.
However now I’m curious, the panda switch was a linear one as well…
How come it delivers such a nice tactility?
Why the leaf pressure in these ones was higher than other linear switches?

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing.
I remember reviews for the pandas were lukewarm when they were released, could it be that the leaf wasn’t well considered? And just happened to be perfect for tactility?

1 Like

Actually the OG Invyr Pandas were made to have super tight tolerances (including the leaves, that is why they are so good for tactile stems) so they could be wobble free, the problem was by making everything so tight it made for an exceptionally scratchy linear switch (it was advertised as a ultra low wobble, ultra smooth linear). Everybody who bought some was looking for what was advertised so they reviewed really poorly & mostly got forgotten about. There were some people putting V1 Zealio stems in them to make Zandas, but the V1 stems do not have an aggressive enough bump to let the panda housings really shine. Finally one day Quakeumz threw a halo stem in a panda housing & the rest is MKB history, LOL!

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the history lesson!

1 Like