Hello all

Hello all. I’m new here but been on the planet for a while. :slight_smile: I’ve been through all kinds of keyboards over the years since first learning to type on IBM selectric typewriters and TRS80 computers. My first mechanical keyboard was a Northgate (Omnikey Ultra if memory serves). That should sufficiently date me.

I’ve recently been on the hunt for something that appears to be unobtanium in the U.S. and figured I would ask for some advice here. I’ll head over to the OEM keyboards discussion to inquire further. Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

7 Likes

Welcome to KeebTalk! It looks like you’ve definitely were able to use some amazing keyboards in your years if you got to use an IBM selectric typewriter and a Northgate! The Northgate Omnikey 101 is actually one of my favorite alps keyboards since they’re so solid and great!

I hope you’re able to find your unobtainium and have a wonderful adventure of keyboards along the way :+1:

Thanks! Most what I’ve used along the way are OEM–never really got into modding. That said, I did make a MAME cabinet 20 years ago that had/has a pretty ugly dis-assembled/soldered keyboard for controls.

I have recently learned to love mechanical keyboards again (stopped for years needing quieter options). There are so many options available now–silent switches, hot-swappable, o-rings, etc. etc. etc.

The new journey begins…

3 Likes

Relevant to your username:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjUv4l18lpU

2 Likes

HaHa. That is great! Thanks for sharing. I had not seen that before.

Hello and welcome! Glad to have you here.

1 Like