Hello everyone 😃

Hello friends,

My name is Nathan. I’ve been interested in this hobby for the past 4-5 years, but I only started building boards as of March last year. I’ve lurked around in r/MK and some forums for frankenswitches, but this is my foray into an actual forum.

My current project is building a database of sound tests using the Tofu65 board from KBDfans. I’ve been experimenting with various switch+plate combinations, and I can’t wait until I can finally test a POM plate on that keyboard. It’s been keeping me busy for the past few months, but I’m excited to keep finding new sounds.

I wish everyone the best, and it’s really great to see a forum like this. I look forward to meeting everyone! :slight_smile: :smiley:

10 Likes

Hello Hello and welcome!

2 Likes

Howdy! That sounds fun. What aspects of keyboard acoustics are you most interested in?

3 Likes

Hello! I would say that I like deeper tones without sounding too hollow (?) It’s hard to really explain since I don’t have the words to accurately explain it. My current crisis with these sound tests is trying to determine whether I prefer a ‘clacky’ vs a ‘thocky’ board. The combination I’m testing right now are Cherry MX Blacks + Bolsa Supply’s 65% FR4 plate. However, I recently got 67g tangies and those also sound great.

The Cherry MX Blacks came from a Filco FC980M that I bought for a client who wanted to swap to switches to Kailh Box Jades. I’m just unsure whether those MX Blacks would be considered retooled or hyperglides.

1 Like

Well, I would say, ain’t that the reason for having more than one keeb? So you can switch to what you in the mood for? :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome welcome! Glad you decided to join.

I’d be interested to hear those comparison tests when you’re done, just out of curiosity.

I think you’re going to like that POM plate! Personally, I love what it does for the sound and feel of a keeb. Just be prepared for it to be a little tricky to install; the one I had was a bit of a challenge to keep clipped to the switches as I installed more; kebab skewers were super helpful with holding it in place during that process.

You know, I can’t decide either - that’s probably why I alternate between two daily drivers; one that has a metal case and UHMWPE switches for snackity clacks, and anaother with polycarb switches and an ABS case for the deeper thocks.

3 Likes

yessir yessir
I actually have another DZ65RGB PCB in the low profile 65% case offered by KBDfans. That second PCB has been the single reason while I haven’t pulled all my hair out, since I can rotate between the two different PCBs, each using a different plate. I have a NK65v1 EE and a NK65v2 Alu, and I’m planning to do the same thing with those boards once I finish up with the Tofu65 series.

1 Like

yes of course! I currently have 4 plates for the Tofu65 (alu, brass, PC, and FR4) and I’ve recorded sound tests on all plates for 6 switches so far. right now I’m trying to learn video editing so the videos are at least presentable.

once the POM plate comes in (bless you upgradekeyboards) then I can record another round of sound tests with the switches I have. Eventually, I want to release these videos on youtube or have them accessible through a public google drive, just for posterity.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I think that could be a very useful comparative tool for people trying to decide what to try first (or next).

YouTube is super easy as far as uploading and such is concerned, and adding chapters is as simple as listing time-stamps in the description.

My skills are pretty basic but I’d be glad to help make an accessible archive page for these; something like an online spreadsheet or grid of links to the videos that makes them easy to navigate, if that makes sense.

This does also seem like the kind of documentary keeb science that @ajoflo is into. Either way feel free to shoot me a DM if that sounds like sounds like something you’d be into; pro scientia, of course.

3 Likes

That’s the intention! I didn’t really have much information to go off of when I built my first board, and since the Tofu65 is a relatively popular offering from KBDfans, I figured people who bought them would want to have an idea of what they’re getting.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I have absolutely no idea of what I’m doing other than recording videos and splicing them together, so anything helps :slight_smile: I just need to flesh out some ideas that have been floating around my head recently.

Now that you mention it, this really could be a documentary of the Tofu65 :thinking:
@ajoflo do you have any advice/tips on recording sound tests? I’ve been recording with my phone camera @ 1080p/60fps from an overhead phone mount. However, I think I’d like to just start anew and record from a new angle with better lighting.

2 Likes

Hello and keep us updated on your project. :smiley:

2 Likes

I wish I was that cool. :nerd_face:

But your approach at building a database of sound tests is something I’d love to hear more about. Needless to say, a searchable centralized repository of community sourced sound tests would be insanely epic.

2 Likes

I wanna say coming right up, but the pom plate hasn’t arrived :sob: however, if you have any specific requests for a sound test i can see if it’s possible :slight_smile: