Hello! I go by Goguma

I’ve been on keebtalk for awhile now, but I never really posted one of these!

My first time trying a mechanical keyboard was back in 2013/2014 on my friend’s Rosewill TKL with Cherry MX Blue’s, and I fell in love with it. My first board was a Corsair K70 w/ blues and I slowly climbed up the ladder (or down the rabbit hole).

I started lurking on r/MechanicalKeyboards late 2016 because I was unhappy with my board. After seeing the new K95 Platinum, I was convinced that I had found a keyboard that would satisfy me for a long time. But, my friend wanted me to come over to try his topre board and not knowing what exactly what that was and thinking that it was inferior to the new, top of the line Corsair Gaming Keyboard with genuine Cherry switches, I obliged.

I instantly fell in love with Topre. I had broken that board and harvested everything that I can get from it and bought an Fc660c and my endgame and dream board since starting the hobby: Duck Jetfire with Holy Red Pandas. The Holy Pandas are by far my favorite cherry style switches. The love of typing on them is akin to that of my first typing experience on that Rosewill :’)

I’m a computer engineering student at a school in SoCal. I love playing video games, playing/watching basketball, chicken, and I love coffee.

Looking forward to all my future builds because I have too many keysets and not enough boards.

8 Likes

What kind of chicken?

I really like KFC (Korean Fried Chicken!), but anything goes. I’ve been eating a lot of Nashville Hot Chicken lately.

3 Likes

Korean fried chicken is :fire:

3 Likes

Can confirm. Part of me likes it more than 'Murican.

1 Like

I’m going to start posting my finished builds in my thread to share my keeb journey <3

4 Likes

Welcome. Excited to see your builds!

Build Log #1: Rama U-80A

Background:
I bought this board because I bought SA Olivia. GMK Olivia was one of the most sought out sets back in 2019 and at the beginning of 2019, there were only rumors of its second round. SA Olivia was ran through Novelkeys and was released on Pi Day (3/14) at exactly 1:59 PM (EST). I remember having finished a midterm and jumping on my laptop and clicking as fast as I can to grab a spot. I was fortunate enough to grab one.

I started doing some digging because I had no idea which board to put this on. I wanted something unique and something that I won’t get tired of. When I had first joined the hobby, Rama Works and their M-65A was one of my favorite boards (along with the Retro Refrigerator Norbatouch). As I journeyed down the rabbit hole, I saw the release of the M60-A and the KARA and chose to pass on them. With the tease of doing a TKL-sized board, I knew that this was the one to finally pull the trigger on and buy a Rama Works board for myself.

The original plan was to get a Dusk (Mauvy Pink) colored board to match with SA Olivia. However, they didn’t release that color again. As luck would have it, Rama Works released, in my opinion, the best color they have released yet: Port. Port is deep red color reminiscent of the type of wine associated with the name. Along with the deep red, it has purple undertones that makes the board so unique. I also find that it reminds me of the Mauvy Pink color that I love as well!

Now the wait begins!

I chose to make the board heavier with the internal weight! the U80-A also has a daughter board.

the U80-A is the first of Rama Works’ boards to feature the Mute mounting method. In between the PCB and plate there is a piece of Non-conductive Silicon to mute the vibrations of the plate.

The mounting method is unique. I guess it really is gasket mounted, but not really. The PCB/Plate/Mute just sits on the bottom half of the board, only touching where the Mute rubber is exposed. In that sense it is gasket mounted and I find that the acoustics of the U80-A are better than Rama Works’ previous boards. However, unlike my other gasket mounted boards, these don’t offer the same amount of flex.

The Butt Shot

I had the hardest time figuring out which switches to put in this board. At first, I was thinking of using Zealios, but I never liked them. I thought of using Okomochis as well, but didn’t like those either. I finally settled on Pinokos V2, which are JWK switches. They have a nice pink color to them.

Next time, I’ll take more pictures of the process!

Specifications
Board: Rama U-80A With Internal Weight
Color: Port
Plate Material: Brass
Switches: Pinoko V2 (Lubed with 205g0, Deskeys Filmed, 65g)
Keycaps: SA Olivia
Stabilizers: C3 Olivia Stabs (Band Aid Modded and lubed with Dielectric Grease and 205g0)
Deskmat: Rama Works Canvas 2 XL

Typing Test: Rama U-80A With Pinoko V2 Typing Sounds - YouTube

I like to name my boards: This one’s name is Rosé.

9 Likes

Rosé is a beauty. Well done.

Hey Goguma, seems like there are quite some gaps in the U80, do you think these can be filled with foam? or the sound is full enough? :slight_smile: