Hello, I'm Guilherme from Brazil

Hello everyone from keebtalk, i decided to get into the world of keyboard building after i saw some awesome builds posted on the r/MechanicalKeyboards so i spent the week reading about Keycaps, KeySwitchs, Soldering, lubrification viscosity and etc.

Right now i’m in love with this new discovery and im eager to build a keyboard myself, so i went right up and made my first purchase :

A simple switch tester including some of the most basic switchs, as i mentioned above i live in Brazil , where’s not easy to accquire parts due to shipping costs and High Taxes :frowning: , but i wont let that stop me.

I’ve been reading a lot about this new hobbie and im looking for some help for fullfiling my desire of building a keyboard. So i got some questions:

• How should i start ?
  • Wich parts should i aquire?
  • There’s some store that i should check for ?
  • Is there a starter builder kit ?

Right now for my project i’ve decided only to test some keyswicths first, (probably im going for that cherry blue MX)
I dont fell like souldering anything and rather build things that i can assembly.

I think that you guys might get that a lot, so thanks for the patience.

2 Likes

Welcome here!

Now is a great time to get into this community as there are so many options and easier ways to get into your first build.

KBDFans is a good place to start as a one-stop shop for everything you might need for a first board. Be on the lookout for hotswap PCBs as that will allow you to build without any soldering.

Getting a switch tester first was an excellent idea as it will allow you to see what you like before really investing.

See you around and feel free to ask any questions!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tip ! I’m already looking for something in the DIY session !

Welcome to the site @Negative! @cijanzen’s advice is very good, but in your situation I would suggest getting an affordable hotswap board like a barebones glorious GMMK, enough genuine Cherry plate mount stabilizers to cover the board size you choose (Fullsized will need one 6.25u & seven 2u stabs, TKL & 60% will need one 6.25u & four 2u stabs), & a batch of the switches you find to feel the best. That should give you a very solid starter board that can have the switches changed very easily without having to spend an arm & a leg. Then if you end up really jumping in to the hobby after that you will still have a decent testbed for trying out new switches! I think this would be the best route since your preferences will most likely rapidly change in your first year in this hobby. Anyways I hope to see you around here more often & feel free to PM me if you need any advice! :+1:

2 Likes

Hey Guilherme, bem vindo!!!

Great to hear we have another Brazilian interested in Mechanical Keyboards. You may not know this, but we have a rather large community already and we’d love to have you join us.

Here’s a link to our Discord:

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the advice rob ! I will take a good look at it and keep you guys updated !

1 Like