Help me fill my shorts! [Suggest a Horror video game for me]

One genre I’ve not tackled to date is that of the horror.

Can anyone recommend some titles for a newcomer?

I don’t play too many horror games, but I did enjoy Metro 2033 and its sequel Metro: Last Light. I read Metro 2033 before playing the game and I thought they captured the atmospheric horror of the novel reasonably well.

1 Like

These aren’t in any particular order but might be worth looking into.

1. Resident evil 1 (remastered preferably)
  2. Resident Evil 7
  3. SILENT HILL 1, 2, and 3
  4. The penumbra series (janky but still really good)
  5. SOMA
  6. Until Dawn
  7. I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream (90’s point and click adventure game based off of the short story)
1 Like

Resident Evil 1, Silent Hill 1, Left 4 Dead

1 Like

A second on the Metro series, and I’ll add Dying Light. At daytime, it’s not bad. Night time is something else.

dying light is awesome

Hmmm. Do you like jump-scare horror games?
Or do you like slow boiling horror games with thick atmosphere?
so thick you can swim in it

And as a Lovecraft fan, I’m looking forward to The Sinking City.

Alien Isolation is a solid one

Something with bizarre and horrific creatures. I’ve seen plenty of zombies I need to see something else.

I took a look at the trailer for Resident Evil 1 remastered and … eh… It doesn’t look terrible but maybe I’ve seen enough zombie films in the last few years to become desensitized to it.

I might need to go 4k VR on this one.

I endorse @BobCarltheThird’s list, all very good horror games IME as well! Soma is a stand out on that list IMO & great hidden gem made by the same people who made Amnesia. Speaking of, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs & Amnesia: The Dark Descent are pretty good horror games also. :metal:

I kinda wish they would take the gameplay from the night sections, expand it a bit, and make it it’s own thing. It’s one of the only times a game has made me actually feel fear even though I had enough ordinance on me to take on a small African country.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed the following:

PS2

• Fatal Frame 2
  • Fatal Frame 3
  • Clock Tower 3

GameCube

• Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem

Wii

• Fatal Frame 4

PS4

• The Last of Us

PC

• Alan Wake
1 Like

I look at daytime as the interlude. Some frantic running throught the night (there’s really nowhere to hide) hoping you make it to a safe haven- it really makes you get to the point where your movment is instinctual as thinking can get you killed! But too much of that would either a) give me a heart attack or b) inure me to the horror.

2 Likes

Completely forgot about this game! Huge +1 to this recommendation.

1 Like

Dying light had parts that made me actually shriek.

1 Like

I’m reviewing all the suggestions. Thanks for all your input! :smiley:

1 Like

BobCarltheThird played Resident Evil 7 in VR mode from start to finish. He played Outlast without twitching. The only thing that I recall kind of freaking him out was P.T., the withdrawn playable demo for the discontinued Silent Hill sequel.

That sucker came out of nowhere, without advanced warning, free to play, and with zero hoopla. It was great.

Too bad he deleted it to get free space on my PS4. This is a bit of a sore subject, which is probably why he didn’t bring it up in this thread.

Damn that sucks. I had deleted P.T. from my PS4 for extra space also, but made sure to re-download it when they announced it would no longer be available for DL at all. I agree it was awesome horror experience that was greatly heightened due the reasons you mentioned. Here’s to hoping Death Stranding can fill it’s shoes & gets released on systems other than the PS4!

Yes sir. A lot of times, games get spoiled before you play them, since the advance hype is impossible to avoid. I played P.T. the night it came out and spent a couple hours going “WTF?!”

The next night, I went down to the man cave, and BCTT had on headphones, playing it. He didn’t hear me coming. He jumped about a foot when I sat down next to him.

1 Like