Help me with my first full Custom GB board!

That’s why the money hasn’t already ‘magically disappeared’ from my account.

Pakistan.
Getting shipment from EU could be more expensive… Though I should check that.
VAT doesn’t change though.

Oh =/

1 Like

Managed around 250 so far…
Hospital duties are a bit too demanding these days…think I am gonna have to skip this one folks :frowning:

1 Like

I have a few questions for the veterans of GBs…
I managed get the funds together but unfortunately and unluckily for me, this board that I absolutely ended up adoring got sold out at Canon keys and mykeyboards.eu isn’t replying about shipping to me.

So, would there be a chance for me to grab this anytime in the future? Re-runs? Re-stock?
First keyboard ended up being a heartbreak of sorts.

In other group buys, especially for keyboards (vs keysets), some people will end up selling their GB spot on /mm. The GB runners typically don’t mind if the person is just selling for cost (usually run into money problems or something). Then as soon as the GB ships, a small number of people just flip the kit, usually for a ton more than they paid which sucks.

Last piece is to remember that these are being run by pretty small companies or just individuals who are enthusiasts, so you might have some luck just reaching out to Cannonkeys on their discord and get to know the guys. I missed the Sol2 GB and later decided I wanted in. I talked to the guy that run RGBKB on discord and he ended up having a used one he was willing to sell to me, plus he was a cool guy to chat with, so that might be another approach…

1 Like

So, mykeybaord.eu sent me a good quotation but I haven’t heard from them ever since and the GB period is about to expire… :frowning:

What a rollercoaster ride! Have you hit them up on Discord? They have a specific support channel.

Doing that now!!!
I agree, quite the tumble it has been. But not giving up yet .

@ggggggg

You are quite the life saver. :blush:
I got into the Discord and was able to talk to NecroWomanX.
They are so very helpful and I have to admit I was completely wrong about their slow communication. The emails haven’t been replied to because they have a huge backlog of mail.
Unfortunately they either have PayPal or Wire.
And I don’t have PayPal in my country so I have to talk to my bank about arranging a wire transfer. They don’t have a way for me to pay via card like Cannonkeys… Which sort of is a bummer but ah well!
They have agreed to hold a spot for me on the GB and wait for me to transfer the money. I have asked till Monday when banks open again.
Amazing people and it really seems to be worth the effort.
Hopefully the GB goes well and the board comes like it was shown on Apiary’s stream… :+1:t2:

But u can use your card on PayPal. Is country that important there?

I read it wasn’t in Pakistan… Can I still use it???let me try!!!

EDIT:
Thing is I can’t add a proper billing address for my card.
Plus, there’s a pretty huge cost that is applied.

EDIT 2:
SO @ISOxSwap it seems like if someone sends me a PayPal invoice I can pay via my credit card without an account too. I have been reading online, and it seems that a simple lack of knowledge on how the system works at my end may be the cause of my entire rollercoaster ride.
Which just makes me mad at myself…XD

1 Like

Probably the last post on this thread before I start a sort of time line of updates on the Atlas GB.
So apparently PayPal won’t even allow me to pay an invoice from my country.

I ended up using TransferWise…a hard decision and I have my fingers crossed and am praying hard that the money gets to MK safely and I don’t any issues.
I will edit and update this reply tomorrow with the result.
Seems like I will be part of my first GB and on way to my first custom board soon guys.
Lowkey excited and anxious now. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Now the fun part, where you wait like a year to get it. I dunno what the timeline from cannonkeys is but I think their estimates have been pretty reliable in the past.

I didn’t get it from Cannonkeys… Got it off MK.eu :slightly_smiling_face:

Expected dates are December 2020.
Will give me plenty of time to get the switches (with grease and the film material I am planning custom film with, and other mods), keycaps (probably a GB as well) and make a cable for it… :joy:

Godspeed

1 Like

So I got a surprise 1% discount on the GB somehow… And I didn’t know even after I sent the money :slight_smile:
I saw that Silent Ink Blacks V2 were on sale too so I ordered 10 packs and added Durock stabs too (I actually just need the 2u stab XD). I added those and they updated the order since I am gonna have switches and stabs shipped with the Atlas. And then both mykeyboard.eu and I found out that I have a 1% discount on the overall order somehow… So I ended up saving quite a bit.

This is fun :tada:

1 Like

Hello again everyone!
I decided to rename the thread since Operation: Get Into the GB was a highly resounding success!
By the end of this year I shall be the owner of the 5x12 Ortholinear Atlas!
I didn’t stop at that though, I tried a lot of different switches (around 80 I believe?) and came to the conclusion that the Gateron Silent Ink Blacks made me feel the happiest and most satisfied! So grabbed those for the build.
Ahead of that, I grabbed a set of Durock Stabilizers (4x 2u, 1x7u) since I will be needing it for the 2u spacebar. Stating the obvious and very lengthy but it’s important for the next part.
I am even planning on either the KAT Iron if I can get into the GB or MT3 Extended if I can’t.

So after having come this far and researched and learned even more from all you wonderful people… A few questions came to mind… That’s why I edited the title since it’s useless making a new thread for it and I would like keeping it all on one thread for reference when I do a review here later in the year :wink:

1 Like

So here we go:

1- First the lube. I am planning on picking the lube from KPrepublic’s Aliexpress page. They have Krytox in certain sets there that are complete with brush etc for lubing. I plan on lubing stabs along with the switches. Plus I am also thinking of adding a bit of lube to the bandaid mod for a better bottom out.
If I have studied up correctly, for my intents and purposes, the Krytox GPL205g2 is best right? Or should I grab the GPL105g0 as well? And would the quantities listed here be enough? I plan on picking only one set of whatever I get, even if it’s the combined set of both. I have a 2u stab and around 60 to 70 switches to lube. (listed is about 5g)
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVgryoO

2- I got the Durock stabs. Are these stabs pre-clipped? Or would I have to clip and sand down myself? It’s a question I strangely can’t find a clear answer to.

3- Back to switches! So apart from lubing, I also want to add film to the switches. All switches, regardless of how it is. Initially I tried two materials myself, vinyl stickers/label stickers and paper. But then I found these HTV films:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYYRMia
Going to get the double layered one, or thinking of doing so at least. Thoughts?

4- O-rings! Heard they help reduce sound. I wanna try them, since the Atlas actually is a very quiet board it seems from the build stream Apiary had. Thinking of these:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BfgkmWfc
Will these be fine?

5- I also am thinking of getting Eva foam like they use on cars etc for sound proofing. Will DIY it myself. But I saw Silcone and Rubber sheets as well, so need expert opinions.

And that’s everything I would like to pick on your brains for… For now at least.

1. Get some oil (the 10X range) as well, to bag-lube the springs. I personally buy from keys.my but don’t know about shipping to Pakistan. I use 205 on the stab sliders (just like you’d do a switch) and dielectric grease (superlube brand) for the wires – I’m sure you can use 205 on the wires as well but some consider it a waste.

2. Dunno. But invest in a good pair of precision flush cutters, I use mine all the time for lots of different things. Low key one of my favourite tools, not just in terms of keyboards.

3. Double layer sounds fine

4. Silent inks have built-in dampeners, I think you’d sacrifice quite a bit of bottom out feel for little more in sound reduction. But get them if they’re cheap, it’s a non-invasive mod.

5. Anything will do (fight me!) that can fill the hollow spaces in your case / between plate and pcb. I use craft foam because I can buy it in a physical shop closeby. It probably depends how much you want to minmax your build.

1 Like