Well then, sing us something. I’ll provide lyrics

Clicky clicky key
Sing a song to me

All I heard was clack
A spacebar coming back?

Oh smooth topre thock
Makes me wet around my c*ck

1 Like

Hi Nathan! I really enjoy your videos, cool to see you here!

1 Like

I was just watching your videos on youtube and I have a few questions regarding your HHKB with hipro caps if you don’t mind.

• How did you manage to install those on a HHKB? As far as I remember, along with using different keycaps, hipro uses unique type of (taller) switch housing, and you can’t really change those on a HHKB because they are integral part of the housing. So, what did you do? 3D printed new plate perhaps?

• I can see you’re using KBDfans silencing X rings on that board. May I ask why not hypersphere rings?

1 Like

You can simply use the HiPro caps on normal Topre housings without using the specialized housings that the HiPro Topre boards use!

As for your second point I have 2 reasons:

1. It is much thinner than hypersphere rings so you get a much smaller reduction in switch travel
  2. It is much cheaper
2 Likes

But doesn’t that make them too wobbly? I mean, there has to be a reason why they changed the whole thing for HiPro boards, both slider and switch housing.

However, I’m planing to install those keycaps on Leopold FC660C, not HHKB, so I guess I could transplant those to the new board BUT

I’ve seen quite a few videos of HiPro boards. They are horribly loud. Yours is not, but you don’t actualy use real HiPro sliders so that explains it.

Now… usually there are ways to silence Topre switches, using rings and stuff like that. But not in the case of HiPro switches I think. IIRC they are incompatibile with any kind of rings, be it Hypersphere or KBDfans. So I guess if I want silence, I’m forced to use normal Topre silders which again brings us to my original question

Just how wobbly that combination is?

BTW @Manofinterests I’ve heard you have the same combination on one of your boards, could you share experiences on the potential wobble issue?

The new housings they provide for the HiPro boards aren’t all that great, in my opinion the wobble is about the same with the normal housings vs HiPro housings

I agree with what Nathan just said. The wobble doesn’t change that considerably between housings. If I have all the free time in the world, I would consider swapping housings as well, but honestly just swapping keycaps is enough.

Few more qiestions came to my mind after I wrote the last post. :laughing:

• I never saw HiPro in person, but judging just from the pictures it seems that there are no orientation knobs on F&J keys at all? Are they at least deep dish-ed like SA homing keys? I’m absolutely unable to understand how can someone make a keyboard without homing knobs, if they really don’t have any of these (knobs or dishes), it’s a hughe minus in my eyes since I’m a blind typist and this is the only thing I use to orient myself.

• Has any of you perhaps mesured how thick they are? I know regular Realforce keycaps are fairly thin, so I’m guessing these are maybe somewhat thicker?

• Is there any way to acquire cream-grey color PBT spacebar which has the same tone as those keycaps? AFAIK no, but still, I have to ask. Maybe some of you knows something I don’t.

• What do you think, how similar is HiPro grey to Leopold FC660C grey? Seems pretty similar to me. I’m asking this because of Leopold’s bottom 1.25 row I will be forced to use as is. So I’m calculating what would be the best color to get it (Leopold comes in black, grey and blue as of lately).

Hipro actually has 6 homing keys, all deep dish. Your SDF and JKL keys are all deep dish allowing your fingers to nestle comfortably on the home row when typing.

I can measure the thickness tonight and get back to you.

No, you’ll have to live with the ABS which I think is okay.

I can take some picture of my hipro tonight when I get home if you’d like to use them as a comparison.

2 Likes

Wonderful. Please do.

Well, there are plenty of pictures of HiPros on the net. But I didn’t see any where it sits next to grey Leopold, and this is the only thing that interests me actually.

Huh, I just found out this
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/electrostatic-capacitive-keycaps/products/topre-pbt-6u-spacebar

Is this maybe what we need? Do you think it’s color matched to Leopold or HiPro? Probably not, but I’ll be an optimist. :laughing:

Bay Area Squad!!

2 Likes