Hey, I'm wavebeem, organizer of the PDXKBC (Portland Keyboard Club)

Hey all, I’m wavebeem!

I’ve used mechanical keyboards since 2013, but I started to get into it as a hobby in 2018.

Since then I’ve become the organizer of the PDXKBC (Portland Keyboard Club), and even managed to get a short segment on Japanese primetime TV. I gave a talk at SeaGL 2019 about building your own mechanical keyboard.

I started with Cherry MX Browns, like many before me. These days, Kailh Speed Silvers lubed with GPL 205 are my gold standard. My daily board is a Helix with a case from Little Keyboards, rocking DSA Magic Girl.

Right now I’m interested in JWK/Durock switches, and patiently waiting for KAM Ghost.

I’ve lurked a bit in the past, but I’m hoping to become more actively involved. Most keyboard communities have gotten too large and too fast for me, so I’m hoping Keebtalk can be a cozy little home for me to become a bit more active in.

11 Likes

Welcome! This is a great place to share ideas & thoughts

3 Likes

Hello and welcome! That’s a cool build you’ve got there - what got you into ortho?

One of these days when travel makes a little more sense, I’d love to see Portland among some other ostensibly bike-friendly cities. It would be extra rad to visit a meetup in the process.

2 Likes

hey deadeye! i bought a planck on a whim because it looked so cute. it took forever to ship, so i ended up getting a zlant while i was waiting. i’ve just been going down the list in size: 100% > TKL > 75% > 60% > 40%. I don’t see myself ever getting into 30%s though.

i went down the split route eventually because i was having some tightness in my right shoulder. that’s helped out quite a lot actually. and it forced me to have better typing form. i was definitely guilty of using the wrong finger for a lot of things before.

i can’t speak to the bike-ability of portland myself, but we always loved having out-of-town visitors at the meetups when they were happening. when it’s finally safe enough to have a large gathering at a bar again, i will definitely blast the announcement from the mountain tops that the pdxkbc is back in session, haha.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you’ve got some great keeb xp. You’re knowledge should surely be appreciated here. Thx for sharing.

A lot of folks know more than me, I just have big green hair so I get everyone’s attention :laughing: Thanks for the welcome :smile:

1 Like

Welcome! Did you color match your hair color with the Dolch badge? If so, I am envious of your commitment to a keeb-based aesthetic.

…Maybe I could say my hair color is an homage to underwhelming tactility?

I take it you have brown hair? Haha.

Other way around for me. I got the shirt because it matched my hair.

2 Likes