HHKB Pro 2 volume up down on Windows

Hi all, got my HHKB Pro 2 today. Really enjoying it but I can’t seem to get the fn+a, fn+s volume up down keys to work on Windows. I’m not having much luck finding a solution on the internets either. Is this something that’s even possible? Or perhaps I should have pushed the boat out and got a new Hybrid?

Anyway, any info much appreciated.

seems those keys only work on MAC

2 Likes

Ah that’s a shame. Maybe there’s a workaround. I saw a few people mention AutoHotKey but I can’t quite figure it out.

My brain is wired to use WASD for my arrow cluster so their default vol up/down doesn’t work for me. I just emailed Hasu for a controller two weeks ago and it arrived last week, very simple to pop in and program.

Volume key behavior with Windows is variable on the Hybrid model as well (only works in Bluetooth mode). My tests with all 12 configurations -

On Windows

• Bluetooth + HHK mode: no Windows key, no volume
  • Bluetooth + Mac mode: Windows key, volume
  • Bluetooth + Windows mode: Windows key, no volume
  • Wired + HHK mode: no Windows key, no volume
  • Wired + Mac mode: Windows key, no volume
  • Wired + Windows mode: Windows key, no volume

On MacOS

• Bluetooth + HHK mode: no Command key, no volume
  • Bluetooth + Mac mode: Command key, volume
  • Bluetooth + Windows mode: Command key, no volume
  • Wired + HHK mode: no Command, no volume
  • Wired + Mac mode: Command, volume
  • Wired + Windows mode: Command, no volume
4 Likes

I scoured the internet for this when I first got my Pro 2. With the stock controller there’s no way for it to work in Windows, as it sends different codes to the OS for media controls. I’ve had no issue with macOS and some Linux distros but Windows is a no go. To get around this, I use a Yang controller (Hasu also works well) in mine, and it works right out of the box.

On the newer Hybrid/Classic models, you can use the configurator to bind these in Windows but unfortunately not on the Pro 2.

3 Likes