HHKB Professional Hybrid review

Here is my comprehensive review of the HHKB Professional Hybrid - including a brief history of the HHKB, comparisons between the Pro 2 and Pro 3, recommendations on Topre modifications, and more!

As always, please feel free to let me know if this was helpful or if I missed anything! My goal is to take written content about enthusiast keyboards to the next level with in-depth analysis and original photography :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Cool write up. I did not know that Hybrid Type-S offered programmability or was that pricey! Bummer to see that it is limited.

To me the HHKB excels at being a compact, light keyboard that a Japanese business person can take to work and back home every day. If it is your main board, the price is justified.

However we now have a group of people that don’t use it like this. I want to get back into Topre, but I feel like for the price, I am making a lot of concessions on functionality I want.

I am sure he wouldn’t be willing to release the details, but I am curious how many cases @norbauer might sell to Japanese customers because it seems like it might go against some of the initial appeal of the HHKB. I wonder if there is also some cultural differences in wants & desires too.

1 Like

great photos! i’ve always been indifferent to the back bulge, but your photos make me consider getting a bt version. but the last thing i need is another keyboard…

1 Like

Thanks! I suppose there is no true competitor to the HHKB, so PFU can set their price and people will still pay. The upside is that secondhand Pro 2 models are pretty accessible if you don’t need USB-C or Bluetooth.

I agree that the HHKB an acquired taste with some work required. Before the dust settled, I was pretty set on selling the keyboard. Trying out my friend’s modified board really changed my mind, and I ended up buying a second HHKB to tinker with.

That’s an interesting point you make regarding the Japanese audience. I am sure there are customers in that part of the world who do the same as us and don’t use it as a traveling keyboard either. There will always be a desire for an elevated or luxury variant of something among the enthusiast crowd!

Thank you! Just like everything else with this keyboard, the battery hump simultaneously grows on you and fades into the background the more you use it. The Japanese are masters of engineering and overengineering, so I wouldn’t dare to be so presumptuous as to suggest it should’ve been done any other way. :slight_smile:

I suppose the HHKB can be justified as a different sort of keyboard from the rest of the collection of MX gear. I think it will be my go-to any time I need to type extensively (but then again, that’s what all keyboards are supposed to be for).

I am still waiting for a Topre PCB that supports QMK, and possibly same better stab options for use with MX caps, then I will get back topre game!

Fair enough! There are plenty of other toys to play with in the meantime!