Hi, I'm Brandon (aka ClickyKeyboards guy)

Back in 2004, I started a small website to document the history and lore about IBM’s buckling spring keyboards. The IBM model M.

In the 1980’s, I learned to type on IBM Selectric typewriters and I was always attracted to the timeless industrial design of IBM, the “right” depth of key travel when pressing a key, the force resistance from the buckling spring, and the satisfying click when a key is actuated.

Fast forward from 2004 to 14 years later in 2018. finding and restoring IBM’s mechanical keyboards from old dusty warehouses and taking the time to drill out the plastic rivets and replace with metal screws and sonically cleaning all the 101 keys has become a labor of love.

We enjoy sharing my stories with others online and have done sit-down interviews with the Verge and with Wired (interviews can be found through search online)

Last Sunday, July 1, 2018, we were mentioned on episode 673 of This Week in Tech as they were talking about IBM’s 1984’s vintage mechanical keyboards versus Apple’s 2018 current problems and recalls with MacBook Pro keyboards (fast-forward to 1:03:00)

2 Likes

Wow, you’re a true OG. Glad to have ya!

I don’t have any IBM keebs yet, but I appreciate them from a distance.

That picture is ace,