Hi, I'm finally trying to be more involved in the community

Dad: Hi finally trying to be more involved in the community, I’m Dad.

Hi, I’ve been pretty much a lurker outside of sharing one or two pics of my HHKB or Novatouch on /r/mechanicalkeyboards, as well as a few purchases on /r/mechmarket. I have a handful of very expensive hobbies, and keyboards happens to be one of them.

I got started in keyboards mainly because I got an old iMac working, but didn’t have a keyboard to go with it. I started with a Razer Blackwidow (which I outgrew quickly) and then a KBParadise v60 (which I also outgrew quickly). Currently, I own the following: HHKB, Novatouch, tokyo60, and a VE.A clone. I have yet to do a soldered build, though, so I’ve been planning one out as of recently!

Hope to be more involved!

4 Likes

You should share your first solder build experience with the community. It’s always inspirational to see other people dipping their toes into something new.

Is that a mixed metaphor?

Anyway, good to have you out of the lurking waters :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind for my first build. Just gotta find a case I like first. Hopefully after that, I can jump into desoldering my VE.A clone. If/when that happens, I’ll document that, too.

1 Like

Thanks for the introduction! If you’re worried about this being a really expensive hobby, keep well off of Geekhack; I can’t tell you how many more things I’ve been interested in just looking through the GB thread than if I hadn’t. Thankfully, following ICs can help you decide whether or not you want it over a longer period of time.

I’m already past worrying about price–I’ve already dropped close to $500 on my Novatouch :,)

The Wonderland GB is likely to go live soon, so that’ll probably be the first really nice MX group buy I’ll be jumping onto.

1 Like

Hmmm, Norbatouch case, BKE domes, & keycaps?
Novatouch is such a great platform to splurge on :stuck_out_tongue:

Everything’s correct except the case. I also included the cost of getting the board, which was like $225 iirc. I really want a Norbatouch case though… the GBs were running when I had way less extra money lying around.

I put the stock domes back in, but I feel like I wanna go back to BKE soon since I currently have SA Carbon on it and it felt more… “right,” for the lack of a better term.

Which BKE domes did you get? I was thinking of getting some BKE Heavies for my FC980C.

I got the heavies. The heavies are cool, but I think if I were to buy BKE domes for the first time again, I would go with lights, but it really depends on what weightings you use currently.

1 Like

Most of my switches are either 67g or 78g. I currently have the stock domes in my FC980C, but I’d like to go up to heavies if I could. If you decide to go lighter, I might just buy those Heavies if you’re selling.