Hi there, my name is Tippo and i am designing keyboards

Hi everyone, a short introduction of me. I am Tippo from Germany, and I am currently studying engineering. I designed my first keyboard for myself some time ago and had so much fun doing it that i decided to try my luck as a professional keyboard designer. I hope i can contribute some nice keyboards to the community in the future.

15 Likes

Welcome to KeebTalk!

The image in your post makes me wonder if LED lights from under PCB can be easily changed to recreate the illusion of floating keyboard in RL.

2 Likes

Grüß dich - and welcome!

That’s a very cool keyboard design. Always glad to have more creative folks here.

2 Likes

Hey @Tippo_SL, welcome! I saw you IC for the Hover over on GH last night, pretty cool stuff! Glad to see you over here, I think you’ll find KT much more easy going than GH. Although GH is still absolutely the place to put your ICs & GB posts.

2 Likes

Ha. I didn’t realize the hover effect was actually a feature of the board and not a marketing CG. I see what Tippo did w/reduced bottom size and placement of LEDs. I was thinking of doing it differently but I think this works better. Very cool.

3 Likes

Thank you for the nice feedback. I really appreciate it. It’s good to hear some nice words about it.

3 Likes

Very cool board. You got any plans on producing it later or just a personal piece you wanted to share? Also does it have a name?

2 Likes

Actually I did some prototyping and plan to make a gb run in the future.
Here are some pictures of the prototypes.

Edit: I called it Hover TKL because of the effect it creates with the lighting.

9 Likes

For some reason, I’m getting a little bit of land speeder vibes with the hover effect :smiley:

I’m excited to see what you have cooking up in keyboards!

6 Likes

Initially I was going more for a BTTF hoverboard inspiration but wasn’t too comfortable with the pink and one side to be rounded an the other square.

It originally even had a weight that had poron in between to let the hole board move up a down. This was more of a gimmick as it would never move from typing force and resting your hands on it would just let it stay bottom out. So it evolved in a more star wars like design.

3 Likes

I really love the hover look! Is there any chance you would make a 60% version of the Hover TKL?

1 Like

Hi Zozaf, I might make different versions of the keyboard in the future. I decided my first GB to be a TKL out of preference and i am pretty committed to the TKL as i already poured money into the prototypes. Not gonna lie, the time and work i committed on this project is a lot and it would be pretty sad to abandon it.

2 Likes

If there is an interest i could open up a thread about the Hover TKL where i can provide you with every info and updates on the board. I really would like to get some feedback on the board. The protos turned out to be quite good with some minor issues i already redesigned. But i would like to hear out the community and let ideas flow into the finished product. It just can’t be big changes at this point sorry.

4 Likes

That green is swoon-worthy.

1 Like

It came out a bit darker on this photo than it is in reality. Here is an album with all the pictures of the prototypes.

1 Like