HIBI.mx and Rama Drama

Has the M65-C been offered for sale yet? I thought the current version was the M65-B, so my understanding is that any future boards in the M65 series would no longer use a Wilba PCB.

1 Like

Would the Wilba pcb sometimes available from Salvun’s storefront work?

1 Like

I wonder if RAMA, being seen as a luxury brand, is trying to break ties and go the Apple route of producing everything in-house (so to speak). Think of RAMA stepping away from Wilba as Apple moving away from Intel.

It’s not apples to apples, but this could be the route he’s looking at.

4 Likes

Yup, IIRC Wilba has said the Graphite PCB will work as a solderable option. At least, for the 60%.

Since the Thermal is a Wilba board, I’d imagine and hope we’d still be getting a Wilba PCB :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, and Mekanisk occasionally stocks a version too.

Granted, your SOL for a hotswap version that should come with the Thermal.

2 Likes

Not that I expect the company to disclose their agreement, but I wonder who owns the Kate cap profile/IP? I suppose that might end up being renamed as well at some point?

Right? I’d be surprised if the profile isn’t owned by RAMA so I’m imagining a name change coming soon.

2 Likes

This is what I was wondering also if Rama decides against using a Wilba PCB with Thermal Seq.2 & Thermal+. I don’t see why those ones wouldn’t work as all the bounce is in the plate with the Thermals.

1 Like

9 Likes

Yummy (in more ways than one).

2 Likes

This is some rather spicy drama for a keyboard hobby.

6 Likes

Master of the understatements apparently :smiley:

2 Likes

Honestly I think there should be muuuuuuuch less focus on the personal issues of this (not saying that Keebtalk has talked that much about it, but I’ve seen other places rabble about more unnecessary and personal details) and moreso on the business and design implications. For example;

Hibi being impeded by DCMA requests;

and the questions of future RAMA PCBs since he’s no longer working with RAMA. Will products still in development/production advertised with Wilba PCBs still have wilba PCBs? Without an announcment from RAMA in terms of future PCBs, we’re kinda in the dark. Many people want thermals and thermal+s exclusively with the Wilba PCB. If they don’t receive it with a Wilba PCB, that’s kinda false advertising :man_shrugging:

I think it’s these issues that we really need to think about and follow closely on how all parties proceed.

15 Likes

This is all I care about :grinning:

8 Likes

I’m quite glad I got some Rama keeb before all this drama … assuming that hopefully the U80 SEQ2 board I ordered will turn out okay.

2 Likes

youtube best of reddit channels have conditioned me for the juicy drama tho

2 Likes

Worth emphasizing that in the new listing for the Rama Works M65-C, VIA is listed as Open Source

And also KATE keycaps are now called CAPS

11 Likes

I’ve been away from this hobby for a bit and I am kind of bummed to read this news.

10 Likes

All else aside for the moment, there’s something about the recent naming conventions that I’m not the biggest fan of. It hits me like a mix of unassuming simplicity and outright pretentiousness.

Oh these? They’re just CAPS in JARS. You know - the CAPS in the JARS.

IDK - just reminds me a little of the parts of “design school” culture I’ve never gotten along with. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit for clarity: it’s my own interpretation; not necessarily what I think the designer is getting at. No shade intended towards Rama - if anything I mention it because it stands out amongst just how well he tends to strike that balance.

13 Likes

The “but better” is indeed the crucial and difficult part of the Dieter Rams philosophy.

editing to add:

Rama usually gets this right and I’ve always really loved a lot of what they have produced even if it was something that I wouldn’t personally use. It’s always sad when “the band” breaks up but especially so when it is contentious as what could be a process of growth turns into an impediment for everyone. Here’s to hoping everyone involved can get back to putting beautiful things out into the world sooner rather than later.

11 Likes