HIBI.mx and Rama Drama

Personally I’ve never understood the hate that tends to pop up on Rama’s ig posts for his non-keeb projects; like the post with the bats had at least one person going “wtf is this, you should be working on a board” and that’s just unnecessary. Like I get where items like that can come from, sometimes I just see a design or something assembled a certain way and it just sticks in my head until I go throw a mockup together with it or otherwise just throw time at it. Rama seems to take it a little further than I do, probably something to do with an attention span and memory actually existing that I don’t have.

14 Likes

Well wasn’t Rama making products before they started making keyboards?

I’m new to the keeb space and just found out about this drama. Just a question regarding Kate’s HIBI page/ own bran - how was she able to build a following so quick which seemed like 2-3 months ago. Was she already active in some communities? Curious to know how she was able to bounce back so quick and start a new brand after leaving Rama.

I’m guessing she already had working relationships with vendors and influencers from her time at RAMAWORKS.

1 Like

It’s too bad the attention span wasn’t focused on QA/QC. Everything having to do with Jules was a highlight of shitshow-quality attention to detail with a 100% preventable clusterfuck being the result.

Still love rama’s aesthetic and design- if he is getting out of the game I wouldn’t blame him because that shit never stops.

Calling all popcorn enjoyers. Please pop more popcorn!

4 Likes

The match that lit the torch was from a few days ago;

2 Likes

colbert-popcorn-popcorn

3 Likes

Bruh, that dude RAMA is pretty pathetic a moose knuckle. This is just sad. What part of suing your ex sounded like a good idea? I mean even if he wins, he’s still that guy who sued his ex.

3 Likes

C + P from my reddit post:

Sad to see that RAMA is pretty much out of the game, as nobody wants to buy from them now. However, I do feel kinda bad for that guy, even if he was a huge jerk. I agree with what is said, but don’t want to add to the fire. Poor rama.

1 Like

Yea, even if he stays in the keyboard community I’m not supporting someone who sued his ex. The only way I’ll ever own a rama product (even if there was one that interests me) is honestly through mm now.

5 Likes

I hope his reputation and business stays intact enough to ship out all the products he owes customers (e.g. my godamn Thermal already), then it can crumble into the ground for all I care.

6 Likes

Oof, what a mess.

Sad to hear about the animosity / legal squabble. One can only speculate as to the actual details right now, but it’s not looking great. The one mod’s assessment that RAMA’s store is smelling more and more like a Ponzi scheme is at minimum a logical take given the currently available information and environment of customer complaints.

1.) I’d love to see both studios move on from this and do their own thing, whereas I’d hate to see either one (or both) be consumed by the conflict

2.) This situation is a perfect example of why it’s always a good idea to keep in clear communication with customers - sometimes stuff takes a really long time, and that’s okay as long as you stay in touch about it - avoidance (read: shadiness) isn’t going to help :confused:

3.) I also hope RAMA is, at minimum, able to fulfill the orders he’s already collected on

Again, details are obscured - but as someone who once had reason to do a lot of research about non-compete agreements… well my knowledge means bupkis here because this is going down in the Down Under - but in my neck of the woods, there are only a few narrow circumstances where the kind of suit he’s filing has any chance to fly. I hope this ends as well as it can for those involved.

4 Likes

No one’s home but biots will delete inconvenient comments.
No doubt Rama will change course soon and head out of the solar system.

But then RAMA may be named after [d]rama and not Rendezvous with Rama.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings here. While I have been critical about RAMA’s moves towards the community in the past, and I also feel like RAMA seems to try to distance themself from the keeb community already (NFC cards, bats,…?), I’m hesitant to judge them by what’s happened/happening between them, Wilba and HIBI.

I believe that every party probably has had their good share of foul play in this. But suggesting RAMA to be …

… or saying he’ll be

… seems unfair at this point in time. Even – or especially? – between the close contacts, when things turn sideways, it happens quite often that a third party needs to get involved to settle disputes. While clearly nobody prefers this route, people sometimes end up in a cul-de-sac out of which they won’t be able to navigate on their own.

I don’t know the whole story and the insights of anything that truly happened between the three, and I’d argue that nobody apart from maybe their closest contacts know. It seems that many opinions in the community are either based on hearsay or personal beef with RAMA (delivery times, quality issues, etc.), and it seems that different things are thrown into the same bag: RAMA’s behavior on their own social media channels, their posts on other Reddit communities, and the legal dispute between RAMA and HIBI.

Let’s stay neutral and let’s not throw people under the bus before it is 100% clear that they deserve it.

2 Likes

I hope people who have been waiting to receive their keyboards will receive their keyboards :pray:

10 Likes

That’s fair and understandable. You know, after reading the court filings I really hope she didn’t do what they are alleging as they might have digital forensic evidence to prove it. If I was him, I would have taken the high road and just went back into the lab and developed something so tits it wouldn’t matter.

3 Likes

I see your point, but when it comes to the decision to buy something from a vendor or not, anecdotal evidence and hearsay is basically the only thing that you can base your decision on, and that’s fine (we aren’t in a court room deciding RAMA’s legal fate or anything). In fact, if we discounted this type of evidence then we would have to ignore customer reviews wether they be praise or criticism. I don’t care as much about the relationship issues (though it is factual that he sued his ex, and it’s okay to object to that as a customer), but I am concerned about the lacking project updates, the non-existent published timelines, and customers’ customer service complaints.

2 Likes

Consumers can object to anything, really, of course - however, “suing his ex” vs “suing his former employee for IP theft” does connotate very different responses. Many consumers would expect employers to take their IP claims seriously, but, in this case bringing up the relationship is an appeal to emotion, rather than an honest argument against them as a company, in my opinion.

Edit: Replying more to the “suing” theme than this post itself - the Reply buttons are so close together - but entirely my fault. I think I’m largely in agreement with fatalruin here, especially regarding the project updates and directly company related logistics.

3 Likes