How can you get rid of leaf ticks/pings on switches?

Tbh, I never heard anything remotely close to what people describe as leaf ticks nor pings in any of my boards. Spring pings, yes. Never leaf pings.

Iā€™ve only found leaf tickings on JWK switches though, and even worse when itā€™s tactile. Cherries would never have something like this, even MX Browns.

Are your switches filmed? That is one big difference between JWK and cherry. JWK top housings usually make a rattling, high pitched noise on key up if you donā€™t have films in place.

1 Like

Yes all my switches are filmed. Only ones I donā€™t film are Tecsees and NK Creams.

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s from the leaf? I always thought it was caused by top housing design or material by JWK.

UPDATE: Now I see how the noise could be made. If top part of the contact leaf is too close to the ceiling or the wall of the top housing, force of the key press could bring the two into contact and make the noise.

Interesting, maybe I could lube the top of the leaf to prevent this.

Also, are the switches soldered or in a hotswap board? Do you notice a difference one way or the other?

Personally Iā€™ve noticed no differences either way

1 Like

And do you hear it on every switch or just some of them? Iā€™m just trying to think how I would troubleshoot. I had some H1 switches making annoying noises. I tried everything to no avail. Finally I removed the contact leaf entirelyā€¦ and it still made the noise. I swapped the springā€¦ still noise. I changed out the sliderā€¦ still noise. I put a cherry top on itā€¦ noise gone. I still donā€™t know why. It was tight and filmed prior to the swap.

These were particually egregious, so I actually just desoldered them and put them in the trash :slight_smile: Strange because I have another board with H1s that is fantastic.

Yeah like I mentioned before here that it kinda varies from batches to batches. But in general, no it doesnā€™t happen to ALL of them but I would say most of them.

1 Like

I know itā€™s an old post but I noticed ticking on my Durock EV-01 switches (standard JWK recolor) lately too, and immediately thought about this post, sadly I donā€™t have a solution, but youā€™re not crazy.

My EV-01 switches were meticously lubed with Tribosys 3204, springs and leaf included, and over time some developed similar sound too.

I noticed some of the switches can have high pitched noise, almost squeaking when the stem hits the top housing, mainly downwards, perhaps the lube wearing off over time might have something to do with it ? I currently donā€™t have any lube/equipment near me so I canā€™t test it, Iā€™ll try in the future and update.

Itā€™s not the first time Iā€™m reading about ticking in JWK switches, regardless, I also noticed Iā€™m more sensitive to minor noises than other people, so it might explain why some of the people here donā€™t hear it.

I have gone bout combating this by lubing behind the leaf as well as a liberal layer of GPL205g0 in the top housing in the cavity above the leaf. This worked for my Prevail Epsilons, but YMMV.

1 Like

I found the solution to be the same as @d3L7r0n. In fact if that still doesnā€™t work, I would pump the cavity on the top housing above the leaf full of dielectric grease and that would usually stop the ticking.

2 Likes

There is also the Leaf Shroud Mod, if you are really hardcoreā€¦

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty nifty mod. I might try in a hotswap board.

1 Like

It is a pretty good ideal to combat ticking, although Iā€™d argue if a switch requires that much work itā€™s not worth it unless they are like pennies per switches.

the thing is weā€™d already bought the switch, if we didnā€™t fix it itā€™ll just be a paperweight. of course if i had been told that it would be ticking i never wouldā€™ve bought it in the first place.

2 Likes

That looks like a great idea! Now I need to some spare time.

Edit: Seems like Deskeys films are no longer made out of poron, Iā€™ll need to find something else.

Maybe we should make a list of tactile switches that donā€™t tick out-of-the-box.

For example, some of the more recent tactiles by various manufacturers donā€™t seem to have strange noises.

-AKKO Cream Blue

-MODE Tomorrow

-OUTEMU Silent Cream Yellow

-Aflion tactiles would almost be okay, but need more lube.

-The new WS tactiles

4 Likes

To be honest Iā€™ve come to terms with the existence of leaf noise in tactile switches as an inherited design flaw (and I also misread the post thinking he talked about tactiles).

Iā€™m more bothered when linear switches have this sort of really unplesant skueaky/scrambling metallic sound, almost like the spring is getting compressed fast and vibrating.

I also have a pack of Gateron CAP v2 Gold (factory lubed) that exhibit this behavior, but one of the switches is lubed with 205g0 and I canā€™t make it replicate the sound no matter what, so maybe it is a JWK thing.

Or maybe my expectation are just unrealistic, anyway Iā€™m about to recieve some Hyperglide switches soon and Iā€™ll see if they exhibit this behavior too.

2 Likes