How do you clean your PCBs after soldering?

You can probably aviod it.

Not gonna lie. I don’t clean my PCBs after soldering or desoldering. Never felt like I needed to but :thinking:

3 Likes

I’d be more than happy to leave it be if someone who really knows what they are talking about can tell me that my rosin core solder flux blobs don’t need to be removed.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure if I truly qualify as someone who “really knows” (cause I don’t 100%), but given I have some keeb PCBs that have had the rosin core blobs left on them for over 4 yrs. without issue. Also have other stuff I soldered forever ago (like upwards of 20 yrs. ago) & didn’t clean that is still faring just fine. So my gut says it is not necessary to clean it from your PCBs.

1 Like

i kinda feel the same. i havn;t cleaned the PCB of my first keeb yet, and that was build about 4 years ago.

it would depend on the type of solder you’re using tough. if it has lots of flux in the core i wouldrecommend cleaning the PCB after soldering. flux has a tendency to corrode quite badly in my experience.

1 Like

I’ve had a few replys, looked down a few rabbit holes in the past day or two. This is what I’ve gleamed:

Regular rosin core flux will harm your pcb, however, this isn’t the type of flux that you use on plumbing. it is not conductive and is not so harsh. Will it harm in a meaningful way? Probably not. Looks like unless you are doing boards that rely on RF, removal of specks of rosin flux probably isn’t necessary.

If you are using rosin flux that specifically says “no clean,” there is no need to clean it after soldering. No clean means no clean.

If you do plan to remove flux, I suggest you:

1. use a stiff brush to remove as many solid flux blobs as possible
  2. flood the area with a cleaner (such as Isopropyl), and allow the cleaner to “run off,” taking the flux with it. Many suggest a spray application works best for this type of coverage. If you simply wipe it with an isopropyl covered swab and let it dry, you will get a thin layer that is now a sticky mess and still contains flux

Would anyone like to link their favorite solder here?

I’m using 63/37 lead solder with a .8mm diameter. It has a 1.1% rosin flux core that is “no clean”

3 Likes

You might enjoy this:

1 Like

I feel like I the only way to enjoy it is to wait until Tuesday :joy:

1 Like

Same. I only do when I get a rough vintage job that needs a good clean.

I dont know what im doing wrong. I have cleaned it with 99% isopropyl alcohol, but it still leaves a residue. https://i.imgur.com/iT8KPoW.jpg

add: ipa with q tips give much better result than ipa with a toothbrush

Nothing wrong, probably. This is the same result I get as well. The only way to get it totally clean is to flood the PCB (or soak it) with a solvent. I never had enough Isopropyl on hand to soak a PCB.

I don’t know how sensitive the switch and lube is to water, but when you see people like Adrian’s digital basement going at his PCB’s with dish brushes and flowing water u know that the pcb ain’t so brittle as one would think.

Ha, yeah. I watch 8-bit guy cleaning a PCB with running water the other day. Guess as long as you let it dry there’s no harm.

1 Like

Ye :yum:
But then again, those old pcbs don’t have the same amount of SMD soldered parts. :thinking: