How do you guys trust people on mechmarket

I feel like if I check the # of trades some new members wont get a chance to gain “trust”

1 Like

430 trades!? you must be going crazy with all your boards haha

I’ve found vetting a potential trade/buy/sale partner’s Reddit profile & r/mk r/ck post history before opening a line of communication, then just as LightningXI said a lot of communication & full disclosure before agreeing to anything to be the best policy. Also a healthy dose of common sense always helps! :metal:

People are different, and some are scummy. TBH you gotta go with your gut instinct when you talk with them.

I have done several purchases through it, but never sold anything. In the vast majority of times I bought something, the seller was very polite, very fair, and did exactly as agreed upon, except in two cases.

In one situation, everything told me I shouldn’t do the purchase, but I really wanted what he sold (a specific grabbag). Supposedly he had opened it, decided he didnt want it, and now wanted to sell it as a “random” grabbag at a minimal discount, as in not let me see what was in it. This in itself was a huge red flag, but I was too naive. He was also slightly rude and dismissive, as in wanting a fast trade and not wanting to take any more pictures, etc. When I got the package, the grabbag had clearly been repackaged into a different bag, and very clearly had been trimmed of any quality Chocolatier and Godspeed SA keycaps. Unfortunately, I couldnt prove that due to the nature of grabbags, except the fact that I had one already, and the weights were not even close comparatively. I never bothered to confront him because he had all my personal details and you don’t know what angry people may do with that.

In another case a dude was to sell me some specific grabbag keys for Penumbra SA. He on the other hand was very polite, fair negotiater, and sent it quickly. However, after sending the package to me, he then sent a message saying he couldnt find a specific key that we had agree to be included and said he would refund me $1 for it. Completely ludicrous to not mention this before the deal, or before shipping, and then to only offer $1 discount? I just blocked him on reddit and tagged him as a cheater.

My advice is that try to gauge the character of a person, but be aware that some are great at hiding their scummyness.

2 Likes

What ultimately happened?

Unfortunately I just sold a barely used Ducky on r/mm (first time selling anything) and the buyer is claiming one of the keys gets stuck, even though I thoroughly tested it before shipping. I offered him a refund if he wants to return the board, but he doesn’t want to pay for shipping. Seems suspect, or at least entitled.

There is a bit of a leap of faith that needs to be taken when conducting buys/sales/trades through that format. Off the bat wheel and deal with people who have a strong reputation or take the inherited risk associated with a new account/low trade # (we all need to start somewhere).

My biggest advice is to look at the account’s age and then the /mm trade # and scammer list and then make your decision. Never go outside PayPal invoice and never make any exchanges out of desperation as this voids your common sense. Items will always sale at some point and there will always be another listing, don’t feel rushed.

Once you do a few successful and painless buys/sales it is always good to keep in contact with that person and build a network of legit people you can further exchange with down the road. This could lead to increasing trade values as you gain a sense of who they are and build some trust.

Anyways good luck!

Without any discussion the buyer opened a PayPal case stating that the item was faulty but he wanted to keep it and get a refund; this resulted in the money from the sale being frozen.
I told the buyer that I would refund his payment when I received the return; I waited but he never sent it back. After 20 days PayPal decided in my favour and the funds were released to me.

Your case sounds really similar; buyer invents fault to keep the item and get a refund. Let him know that no refunds will be given until you have the board back.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

So I’ve actually been pondering a smart contract system for something like this on Ethereum. However it would need members of the community to act as jurors in cases of conflict. Is that something people would be interested in?

It would require crypto purchases, but I’m hoping by that point Wyre will have dollar to DAI transactions functional. The value would be stored in a stable currency pegged to the dollar so users of the platform would be able to avoid the associated volatility. But smart contracts would allow for reputation systems (like what already exist) plus a defined and contractually enforced arbitration process. The arbitration process is where it gets interesting, but I’m hoping to build into the contract pay tiers for arbitration that can be selected on the initial agreement as to fees to pay to arbitrators to incentivize them to participate.

I think it’d be a cool use case for a p2p market like this one.

Only trade with well-known people, buy/sell with randoms.

1 Like

It’s funny I’ve only ever traded with people on the artisan discord server. Trading through mechmarket always feels like more of a gamble because you aren’t talking to these people for several weeks beforehand.