How do you store your keycaps? (& mini rant)

I also am in that camp :wink: they keep telling me its no problem they will hold them till October, or December or Q1 or 2 next year…

3 Likes

Most of my keycaps are stored in China. dev/tty just got pushed back to November.

2 Likes

I picked up these clear latch boxes at the Container Store to check out. They’re great.

The medium (4x6x3") is ~$2, stackable, sturdy, and fits nearly 2.5 GMK trays :exploding_head:; and it stacks nicely with the large and comes in four colors (clear, smokey, teal, pink). I think it’s similar in dimensions to the Omnitype boxes.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the tip! do you find having to dig to find the right keys annoying at all?

1 Like

Quite the reverse: it’s therapeutic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazon also has the exact containers that Omnitype sells.

I’d still buy from Omnitype to support a keeb store over Amazon personally but if they’re sold out then Amazon is an option.

2 Likes

For me I keep the caps in the tray they come with, even the new garbo GMK ones till I can replace them with JTK trays. That is something I’ve wanted to do for awhile now is to transfer all my sets over to JTK regular & MAX trays for my taller profiled caps. Although my cap collection has grown so big, I’d need a ridiculous amount of them. :fearful:

2 Likes

Top drawer has supplies (switches, pcbs, foam, etc), middle drawer has gmk/cherry profile, bottom drawer has SA/other keycaps

7 Likes

95% of my keycaps are IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp and were rescued from downed keyboards, so I don’t have any original packaging to keep them in. I use a series of 34.8 x 22.4 x 4.8cm plastic trays to keep them organised. I also use these for spare keyboard parts/novelties and a smaller 19.6 x 13.2 x 3.6cm tray for key stems. Both trays are fairly cheap off eBay.

9 Likes

I get these bags which hold pretty much any set. SA can be nearly too tight but they do fit.

Then I put the sets in these totes. I can fit about 16 sets per tote.

Then I stack those totes three high and five wide in my office closet.

Then when I run out of room I put them on any flat surface in a haphazard fashion.

Whatever it takes to make more room for incoming keycaps, right? Guys… HELP

It is a nice way to organize a massive amount of keycaps all in all. I’ve got 6 totes for GMK, 3 for SA and MT3, one for alps, one for Topre, two for DSA, and a few for miscellaneous (KAT, Cubic, XDA, etc…)

6 Likes

I’ve always thought it would be fun to get like one of those big plastic totes from like target and dump all of my sets loose into it like it would look cool af but be hard to find any particular key

3 Likes

That sounds like something I might do in a manic episode. Sounds kinda fun.

2 Likes

Sort everything by letters and mods, then pick one of each for the grabbag look

I’ve been tempted to do this or dump all my switches in some big bin to put keebs on & take some meme photos. Then common sense kicked in when I thought about what it would be like to re-sort everything back to normal. :fearful:

1 Like

The JTK trays are back on Drop.

1 Like

Like this:

5 Likes

It reminds me of a question in one of Taeha’s streams:
“what do you do with the remaining keycaps?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

joking not joking would buy unused accent keys.

1 Like

anyone try those before? Are they just similar to JTK trays?

They are similar but not the same design, these looks promising.