How many keyboards do you really need?

It would be nice to have an MX alternative to topre with similar feel and sound, but I’m not sure it’s possible just because of how different the technology is.

My mind fundamentally rejects this question. And now I will leave this thread never to return. Good day.

3 Likes

It’s more of a joke than anything but good day. :wave:

Sorry for the low-effort reply but… THIS.

This, but also low-profile :wink:

1 Like

I was joking too :wink:

1 Like

Oh… I didn’t realise when I wrote my answer that it was need- to which I’d answer, where does need come into it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought this fits here as well

My rebuttal would be how many keyboards can you really live without? I am sitting around 32 different working keebs right now & while some I definitely prefer over others. I do find myself rotating through them all periodically. That’s just me though, there is nothing wrong with being happy only owing a few or even one really nice board. Keyboard collecting & building is my main hobby & I do realize it is not the same for everyone else.

2 Likes

Wow!

I agree, it’s different for everyone. Number of keebs means nothing if they don’t make you happy. Really, it comes down to what you like and don’t like.

3 Likes

Yup! The answer is different for everyone. A professional guitarist may require several different guitars; each suited for a special need. So it also is with keyboards for anyone who spends significant time each day at a computer. The answer is somewhere between one and infinity.

But for me personally it’s always n+1 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Take the high number of boards I own with a small grain of salt. I have been in the hobby for getting close to 6 years now. Most of us who fall in love with the hobby & stick around that long have a pretty sized decent collections. If you stick with it, you’ll find yourself a ton of keyboards also! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Can confirm similar amount of time similar amount of keyboards

2 Likes

that’s as silly as asking “how much ice creme can you eat?”

4 Likes

The perfect metaphor for getting into the community.

2 Likes

I feel that I need to modify your equation, for my own needs. :wink:

| Computer | Keyboard | Number of Keyboards |
C+1*K+1=N

3 Likes

Agree with 10+

Just before I slid deeper into the rabbit hole from prebuilt to customs, I’d told myself that 3 would be the limit (1 for office, 1 for my desk, and 1 on display) but it soon became 4 > 6 > 10 and before I knew it, I was sitting on 11 or so boards with 3 more GBs joined. I knew it was becoming a problem so I set an artificial constraint based on the number of keyboard display stands I own: 14 (3 boards on various desks + 11 display stand slots)

3 Likes

ceiling(s*(1.5^y-1)+1)

Where s is setups and y is years in the community.

1 Like

ceiling (4 * (1.5^8-1)+1) = 100.

I’m good! I can keep going!

1 Like

17 Likes