How many keyboards do you really need?

My rebuttal would be how many keyboards can you really live without? I am sitting around 32 different working keebs right now & while some I definitely prefer over others. I do find myself rotating through them all periodically. That’s just me though, there is nothing wrong with being happy only owing a few or even one really nice board. Keyboard collecting & building is my main hobby & I do realize it is not the same for everyone else.

2 Likes

Wow!

I agree, it’s different for everyone. Number of keebs means nothing if they don’t make you happy. Really, it comes down to what you like and don’t like.

3 Likes

Yup! The answer is different for everyone. A professional guitarist may require several different guitars; each suited for a special need. So it also is with keyboards for anyone who spends significant time each day at a computer. The answer is somewhere between one and infinity.

But for me personally it’s always n+1 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Take the high number of boards I own with a small grain of salt. I have been in the hobby for getting close to 6 years now. Most of us who fall in love with the hobby & stick around that long have a pretty sized decent collections. If you stick with it, you’ll find yourself a ton of keyboards also! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Can confirm similar amount of time similar amount of keyboards

2 Likes

that’s as silly as asking “how much ice creme can you eat?”

4 Likes

The perfect metaphor for getting into the community.

2 Likes

I feel that I need to modify your equation, for my own needs. :wink:

| Computer | Keyboard | Number of Keyboards |
C+1*K+1=N

3 Likes

Agree with 10+

Just before I slid deeper into the rabbit hole from prebuilt to customs, I’d told myself that 3 would be the limit (1 for office, 1 for my desk, and 1 on display) but it soon became 4 > 6 > 10 and before I knew it, I was sitting on 11 or so boards with 3 more GBs joined. I knew it was becoming a problem so I set an artificial constraint based on the number of keyboard display stands I own: 14 (3 boards on various desks + 11 display stand slots)

3 Likes

ceiling(s*(1.5^y-1)+1)

Where s is setups and y is years in the community.

1 Like

ceiling (4 * (1.5^8-1)+1) = 100.

I’m good! I can keep going!

1 Like

17 Likes