How to clean/remove lube off of Topre stabilizers?

Hi there guys,

What is the most effective way of completely wiping lube off of Topre stabilizers?

Last weekend, I took on the task of lubing my Realforce 87U’s stabilizers with Permatex Dielectric Grease (sold on Amazon, here). The spacebar ended up great, with a deep, thocky sound. But I screwed up the rest of the stabilizers. Understandable, I guess, being this my first time lubing Topre stabs.

I basically over-lubed them. They now feel abnormally heavy and sticky. I think the only way to salvage this Realforce is to completely remove the lube from the stabs, and then to reapply it more carefully (basically, using less of it). I’m not sure how to do this, though. I’ve read people recommending the use of an ultrasonic cleaner. Is this truly the best way?

Any help would be truly appreciated. :slight_smile:

P.S.: Picture of my board, to spice things up a little.

An easier route, would be to open up the whole board, take out the stabilizers, and wipe them down with a rag or napkin to reduce the amount of lube off Topre Stabilizers. You typically don’t need an ultrasonic unless your plan is to get them bone dry without lube. If you’re just trying to remove the excess, wiping it off is probably the best bet

8 Likes

I agree with Huey , I just refreshed the lube on my 660C’s stabs when I had it open to swap back in the stock domes the other day. All I did was remove the wire & 2u sliders then wipe the majority of the old lube off the parts & reapplied fresh lube. I also did the space bar by removing all the parts (the two sliders included), but you said your spacebar turned out right so I’d leave it be.

1 Like