How to Clip, Lube, and Band-aid mod stabilizers

When making this guide, I did everything while looking through my camera’s tiny LCD screen. As such, I did not realize how much lube I had actually used (basically follow this guide, but don’t use as much grease as I did) so please take that into consideration when doing this yourself!

If you’re a fan of the Wadsworth Constant, the actual tutorial starts at 0:39

Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Follow me on Instagram

13 Likes

Very helpful video!

I am assuming that clipping and the band aid mod are unnecessary for plate mount stabs?

1 Like

Nice video Nathan, very informative for those who are looking for a guide to stabilizer modding! Although there is a few things I do differently when modding my stabs I would like to add into this thread. Instead of just squirting the lube into the housing & re-installing the slider I find using a fine artist’s brush to apply a thin layer on both the inside of the housing & slider gives a more consistent feel to all the stabs across the board. Also it keeps the stabs from getting a sluggish feel on the return from too much lube IME. Then for the wires, instead of dipping them like you do I prefer to put a light layer on lube on the wire itself with the brush, then fill the back of the slider where you can see the end of the wire with lube after I reassemble it. It is a little bit cleaner & more consistent way of lubing the wires IME.

The band-aid mod I personally skip altogether. I’ve tried it on a few of my builds with a few different material types & honestly do not see the benefits of it. IMO it brings back a tiny bit of the mushy bottom out we clip our stabs to get rid of & does very little to change the sound profile of the stabilized keys. Honestly after trying it with band-aids, electrical tape, & switch films I see/feel very little difference between my boards with & without the band-aid mod. Also the pieces of band aid with lube slathered onto them are big time dust/dirt/debris magnets. I can’t remember who told me that (it was a well respected builder in the community though), but it made me really re-think using the band aid mod & was very compelling reason as to why I stopped using it.

Although like most everything else in this hobby of ours it really comes down to personal preferences. So I am not advocating to never give the band aid mod a try, but just wanting to add some of the cons of it. Anyways keep the great work with your contributions to the community & please do not take this reply as me saying you are doing it wrong. There is nothing wrong with your guide whatsoever (in fact it is a very good one), I just wanted to add some of my experience/techniques to it & hope others will do the same. That way we end up with a very comprehensive guide of the how & why to do this mod! :wink: :metal:

5 Likes

Was the same for me, I do most of these steps but skip the bandaid mod altogether, since I couldn’t really tell the difference once it was applied.

Everything else in this guide though is top notch, and helped me a lot for some of my boards.

3 Likes

I actually have put the padded band aid portion under my spacebar stabs, it cushions the bottom from making that loud clang sound on the PCB and isn’t very spongy.

Other than that, the band aid thing doesn’t really change much at all.

2 Likes

Always interesting to see what other people are doing and thanks for the kind words! I guess it’s time to give non band-aid modding a try hehe, it’s been a while since I haven’t built a board without this mod

1 Like

Is there a way to lube mod stabs without desoldering?

just shove lube in the hole where the wire is.

1 Like

I use one of these loaded with dielectric grease (such as Permatex) to apply lube to the stab holes:

They can get into tight spots

1 Like

Looks like it’s also available in Amazon Japan. Thanks for the recommendation!