How to Holee/Bandaid Mod and Clip Stem Legs?

I am going to build my first ever keyboard that is for my sister.

I need someone to guide Holee/Bandaid Mod and Clip Stem Legs. I haven’t watched a video for Holee/Bandaid Mod but I have for Stem Leg Clipping.

Though, I just want a guide, and it would be nice to make it detailed. I do have found articles on it, but… Yeah I just feel like asking, since this is a keeb enthusiast website, hah… haha…

(Also the stabs im using are going to be the ones that came with the Zoom75).

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

You probably won’t have any legs to clip on those, but it’s really straightforward. I don’t think you’ll have a problem with a flush cutter or nail clippers. It doesn’t need to be super precise imo.

Re: holee/bandaid mod, I just wouldn’t :innocent: Give them a try without first. But I’m sure if you’re set on it someone can give you some pointers. If you haven’t done a search here for it yet, you might try that, too. I think I saw a thread about holee and similar things a while back.

1 Like

Try searching YouTube: holee mod. You’ll find some comprehensive tutorials.

1 Like

I usually get Durock v2 stabs which do not need clipping.

The only other mod I do is lubrication: I find that thick enough lube where the wire enters the stem will keep them quiet - tho I don’t use light switches so I don’t have to worry much about the stabs getting sluggish.

1 Like

@Halfling_Barista

You probably won’t have any legs to clip on those

Ok, I won’t clip the stem legs.

Holee/bandaid mod, I just wouldn’t.

Why not?

@billy
Hmm, I will try to find some tutorials.

@fanf

The only other mod I do is lubrication.

I do plan on lubing the stab wires with Dielectric Grease and the stab stems with Krytox 205g0.

So first try to just lube the stabilizers, before moving onto the holee/bandaid mod. IME just a good lube job is all any stabs really need (of course there are exceptions, but in general I mean). Just take your time & remember less is more with 205g0. Start by applying the lightest layer you can to the inside of the housings & outside of the sliders. When doing the sliders make sure to get a decent bit in the wire pocket (the place where you’d put the fabric for the holee/bandaid mod) & when doing the housings don’t forget to do the front where the wire clips in with a very light layer as well. Personally with the wires I’d avoid the dielectric grease altogether as I just use 205g0 or 206g0 on my stabs but the technique is the same with both. Just dip the wire ends into the lube till you it’s just covering the bend. Make sure you don’t have huge globs on the wire but you need more than a thin layer here.

Then as far as clipping goes, if your stab sliders have 4 legs instead of two. You want to clip off the legs highlighted in the pic below. The ones that have the little teeth at the ends. You need to get the whole of the highlighted areas if you need to clip them.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. But im a little bit confused on stabilizer part concepts, like ‘‘Sliders, housings, and wire pockets’’.

1 Like

Sliders are the part that the key cap attaches to. When the wire is removed it falls out of the housing. The housing is the part that houses the slider & wire end. The the wire pocket is the hole through the middle of the slider where the ends of the wire go when the stabs are assembled.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the diagram!

With dielectric, you can go for a pretty good amount on the wires. There are some funky things about the Wuque stabilizes, if those are the ones that come with it. You won’t need to clip any legs, but the wires clip in from the bottom - most clip in from the top - and there is some shape to the stem that…they seem to want to prevent lube from globbing up on it. I haven’t used these, so I’m hoping our advice is still reasonable :sweat_smile: Maybe just use a light touch at first.

It’s meant to eliminate rattle, but I’ve heard and can imagine it can also make them feel kinda mushy and muffled. I haven’t done it, but it seems not worth it to me, and some newer stabs like TX AP have tolerances that are probably too tight for it anyway. I like my stabs not to rattle but otherwise to feel and sound sharp.

1 Like

Having said that, when I was putting together my clicky keybird69 today, I did not lube the end of the wires nor the inside of the stems. The noise from the stabs adds to the character of the board.

Space and Return use Box Navy instead of Jade for some extra satisfaction from whacking the big buttons.

1 Like

Yeah, I think lubed stabs with clicky would sound unlike clicky switches. Because it’ll sound “Thoccy”.

Want to add my own opinion on this. Modern stabilizers like the AP stabilizers and Staebies have specs that are too tight to fit the bandaid (and they sound good with minimal tuning anyway). Holee mod stops rattle in two ways: by dampening the wire hitting the housing cuz its soft, and making the gap inside the stem smaller in general. Results vary depending on what kind of stabilizer you have, bandaids you use, how much lube is there, how balanced your wires are. In my experience more often than not, applying the bandaid mod leads to a much more mushy bottom out with a sluggish push and return. I highly recommend against it and would just buy good stabilizers like the TX AP stabilizers and do a light lube.

3 Likes

Thanks for the opinon and info!

You probably also want to try without the Holee Mod at first for comparison and see if it may also sound and feel fine without it. I tend to hate my cheap stabs in the first weeks after Holee Modding sooo much. The sound differs too much and the break in period so that the stabs won’t stick is not really worth it if you try to update an already well felling keyboard with good stabilizers.
I tend to use it only for the cheap boards that I mod/upgrade for my friends and family.

Tegridy Keeb Gang!

Cheers!

Thanks for the info.

1 Like